This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnian baby names

Please don't close the door behind you.

Narnian baby names

Postby wintercoatsandfurtrees » September 23rd, 2009, 6:28 am

I am pregnant with my second child and have been considering baby names...as you do. I already have a girls name but am having lots of trouble picking one for a boy. I LOVE the name Caspian - I think it is beautiful and strong and reminds me of Narnia whenever I hear it but my husband thinks it's too "pompous". As it's his child too I thought I should honor his opinion but cannot think of a name that compares!

We named our first born son Zen as we wanted to have a boy who's name meant "peace". We still love this name but it has cornered us a bit - we can't really call the next one "Bill" or "Jack" or anything traditional or that will make Zen too weird next to his siblings, but on the other hand, I don't want names that are too outlandish and bizarre or we'll just look like a looney family.

What to do. I discovered your site by accident when I was googling "c.s. lewis names" and am very intrigued (and a bit forlorn to discover only now the original published order having read the CoN many times in many orders but never in that one!). I still like the idea of naming my next boy a Narnian or at least Lewis name for two reasons. One as a tribute to my favourite author, but also because all the names he uses for his male characters are wonderful and powerful and telling. Just what I like. ANYHOO, any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
wintercoatsandfurtrees

Re: Narnian baby names

Postby LucyP » September 23rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

Maybe uh... Reepicheep? :lol: :lol: just kidding.

Lets skim through the Narnia boy names:
Reephicheep :lol:
Caspian (You already said no on that one)
Nikkabrik :rolleyes: (Not sure what you think on that one)
Diggory
Aslan
Tumnus
Bree

I bet this did not help one bit!
To ride a horse is to ride the sky.
LucyP
Wardrobian

Postby carol » September 26th, 2009, 9:43 am

Have you thought of simply, "Lewis"?

If you really want a Narnian name (and you don't object to the Telmarine line) then there's a succession of kings...

Caspian, Rilian, Tirian,...

Or how about something Archenlander? Cor, Corin, Dar, Darin, Lune...

You could use "Aslan" since it means Lion in several languages - and I have seen it used as a name.
Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and birth.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby ainulindale » September 27th, 2009, 2:16 am

Oooh, what fun! How about...

Emeth?

Ramandu?

Elwin Ransom? :smile:

Best Wishes for your child!
ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby wintercoatsandfurtrees » October 20th, 2009, 10:33 am

Oooh thank you!! Lots to consider... :??: :thinking: :toothy-grin:
wintercoatsandfurtrees

Postby Dan65802 » October 22nd, 2009, 12:54 am

We named our son Samuel after the boy who heard the voice of God (but with a nod to Samwise Gamgee).

His middle name is Edmund, for although Peter is heroic, we are all Edmund.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby LucyP » October 22nd, 2009, 1:19 am

LucyP
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » October 22nd, 2009, 1:22 pm

I was just reading about someone this morning who named their son Stryder. I thought that was pretty cool.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby LucyP » October 22nd, 2009, 1:45 pm

LucyP
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 1st, 2009, 7:21 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby LucyP » November 2nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

LucyP
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:52 pm

I wouldn't mind the name Stryder. It's a lot better than my first name (which is not Dan). I like the idea of naming a child after someone (fictional or real) who exhibits the qualities you find valuable and want to see exhibited in your own child as they grow. This is why we named our son Samuel Edmund.

- Dan -
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia