This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Reading order

Please don't close the door behind you.

Reading order

Postby LucyP » November 5th, 2009, 2:56 pm

I'm reading the Magician's Nephew again. I want to read the whole Narnia series before Dawn Treader pops out. When PC popped out in theaters, I went to see it for my birthday. Coincidentally, it came out 3 days after my birthday!
To ride a horse is to ride the sky.
LucyP
Wardrobian

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dan65802 » November 5th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Magician's Nephew is great, but my preference would be to start with the first book in the series.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby LucyP » November 5th, 2009, 3:48 pm

LucyP
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 5th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Oh Emily, Emily. My heart hurts that you have been misled by the literary revisionists who, with malicious intent, changed the original published order of the Chronicles of Narnia. The purists among us strongly believe in the original published order, not the chronological order of recent publication. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was, is, and ever shalt be the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia.

My prayer is that the order of the films and the reprints of the first editions will restore the order predestined from before the Dawn of Time:
1. Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle

Seriously, I don't think the order of the last six matter as much as having TLWW first.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 5th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I do appreciate how Lewis managed to 'explain' why it was the wardrobe was magical by affiliating it with Narnian wood after the fact. After all, if one didn't know better they would think TMN was first just as the Similarion seems to be first in the tales pertaining to Middle Earth.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 5th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Let's not let this thread wander off into the thickets of Book Order.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby LucyP » November 5th, 2009, 10:37 pm

LucyP
Wardrobian

Reading order

Postby Sven » November 5th, 2009, 10:45 pm

There's already about 10 threads about this in the Narnia forum. Let's leave this thread for discussion of latest book read.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Dan65802 » November 6th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 7th, 2009, 12:27 pm

New editions of the Narnia books have even misled people to believe that the preferred way one should read them is the chronological order. The only fault I found with my hardcover Harper-Collins edition is that the books are numbered in the chronological order, suggesting that no other option should be used. At least the illustrations by Pauline Baynes are complete and otherwise they are of good quality. I wouldn't recommend the little Macmillan paperbacks from the 1970's (even though they numbered in order of publication) because the illustrations are cropped, and the paper the books were printed on was rather cheap. I would suggest reading the Narnia books in correct published order for the best understanding of Lewis, but don't replace your books unless you have the MacMillans and don't want them anymore. The edition I have now I am quite pleased with, though it would have been nice to have color Baynes pictures (but that's very expensive in hardcover).

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: Reading order

Postby Dan65802 » November 9th, 2009, 2:13 pm

BTW, thanks Sven for your help.

- Dan -
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Re: Reading order

Postby Erekose » November 20th, 2009, 6:30 pm

/me pokes his head in again.. still in "heretic" mode

Although I have postedf this before.. and unfortunately this is a bit rushed.. I think its worthy of being reposted..

The true order.. is the published one

Those who reckon that the chronological order should consider this...

The story of the "Magicians Nephew" is actually told to the Peter, edmund, Lucy, Eustace and Jill by Digory and Polly, at a meeeting in "The Last Battle"...

Sooo... TMN should be read when you reach this point in TLB before continuiong with TLB

Somewhere in the forums should be a couple of "heretical" variations on the reading order.. if one has the nerve to delve into them
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia