This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

dissertation

Please don't close the door behind you.

dissertation

Postby Josefine » January 16th, 2010, 4:08 pm

I am writing my dissertation on C.S. Lewis' "the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". I am looking for newspaper articles from the 1950's which deals with this particular book (reviews, interviews with C.S. Lewis about the book etc).

I recently visited the Newspaper Archive of the British Library, but I did not manage to find the information I need. Apparently the book stores in the UK received the book around 14 Oct. 1950. I have looked up newspaper articles between this date and 3 months ahead, but with no success.

Was the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe not immediately received by the media?

If anyone have any suggestions of which dates to look up, please let me know.

Thanks!
Josefine

Re: dissertation

Postby Sven » January 16th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Welcome, Josefine!

I moved this from Creative Writing to the Narnia forum.

You can find contemporary reviews of LWW in the following periodicals:

The Guardian of 23 February 1951

The Times Literary Supplement (Children's Book Section) of 17 November 1950

Time and Tide number 31, 2 December 1950

My source is Hooper's Companion & Guide.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Josefine » January 16th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Thank you Sven! That is really helpful! I have been struggling to find info about this for so long, so your post is very good news for me.

If anyone else knows about additional dates, please feel free to post them here.
Josefine

Postby jo » January 17th, 2010, 8:15 pm

I don't, but as your name is the same as mine (well mine is Josephine) I wanted to say hi :)
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Josefine » January 17th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Haha, hi Josephine! :)
Josefine

Postby jo » January 19th, 2010, 12:28 am

hi :)
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Josefine » January 20th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I am looking for the publishing dates for the following quotes:

"This fairy tale is as good as any children's book written in the last twenty years and not unworthy to share a shelf with Alice in Wonderland."
Books of To-day

"The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George Macdonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written."
The Manchester Guardian Weekly

"I think children will enjoy this book very much indeed. As for myself I am going to buy it straightaway for my favourite niece."
Catholic Times

Sven: I found the articles from Time & Tide and the Times Literary Supplement (thanks again for your help)! I also looked up the Guardian for the date you mentioned, but unfortunately I could not find any article on LWW or C.S. Lewis there.
Josefine

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia