This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

a Lewis quote about the Middle Ages and lobster-like knights

a Lewis quote about the Middle Ages and lobster-like knights

Postby Geoffrey » September 30th, 2006, 5:07 am

I remember reading in one of C. S. Lewis's works a passage about how people tend to think of the 13th century when they think of the Middle Ages, even though by the 13th century the Middle Ages were already starting to ossify, as exemplified by Thomas Aquinas and Scholasticism, which were rather stiff and immovable like a fully-armored knight (who was rather like a lobster in all that armor).

Or something like that. I could be wrong on any number of details, but that is the general thrust of the passage.

Does anyone recognize what I'm talking about? I've been looking and looking, and so far I've had no luck finding the passage. I'm starting to think that the passage exists only in my imagination.
Geoffrey

re: a Lewis quote about the Middle Ages and lobster-like kni

Postby loeee » October 4th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I know this isn't really helpful, but I don't think it is your imagination. I seem to remember something of the sort (don't remember the lobster bit, though). Have you looked in The Discarded Image?
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Re: re: a Lewis quote about the Middle Ages and lobster-like

Postby Geoffrey » October 7th, 2006, 4:37 am

Geoffrey

Return to Questions & Answers