This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Scripture please

Scripture please

Postby Scott West » January 2nd, 2007, 1:12 am

Hey, it's been awhile since I posted, but I thought this would be the best place to turn. I have a very uneasy feeling about this upcoming year, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to scripture that mentions how to deal with the evil inside of us and outside, or listen and follow and know what to do when God is tugging on your heart like this.
Scott West
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 2nd, 2007, 1:59 am

I know how you feel (I think). :undecided: Sometimes I feel like the whole world just doesn't make any sense, and everything must be a lie. But that's just my faulty human brain being dumb, and my torn human heart being depressed for no reason.
Here's a few verses that pop into my mind.
2 Corinthians 10: 3-5
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; "

My dad actually just preached a very encouraging sermon last night on this subject, and he used the 'armor of God' passage in Ephesians 6 which says "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore having your loins girt about with truth....
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
My dad pointed out that you would hang a sword on your belt, so the sword of the Spirit hangs on the truth. We can fight our daily battles because we have a sword, and not just a flimsy sword but one that is securely fastened and established in Truth which is God's Word.

God is the one who links us to reality. Our perceptions can change, but God is Truth.
That really comforts me somehow.

As for fighting the battle within ourselves, there are a lot of verses that help us with that. One of my favorites is in 1Corinthians 9:26-27 where Paul says, "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I , not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection; lest that by any means, when I have preached to other, I myself should be castaway."

Another good one is just verses away in 1Cor. 10:13 that says, "God is faithful, who will not suffere you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

I hope this helps. These are just a few verses that I turn to when I feel uncertain and a little insecure. There are thousands more of course.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 2nd, 2007, 2:12 am

Hi Scott,

My favorite verse when I'm feeling uneasy is this one:

John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Edited to change to Scott's correct name!
Last edited by Karen on January 2nd, 2007, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 2nd, 2007, 4:13 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » January 8th, 2007, 2:28 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers