This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What DO they teach them in the schools these days?

Please don't close the door behind you.

What DO they teach them in the schools these days?

Postby Jenn » October 22nd, 2004, 10:37 pm

Food is good!
Jenn
Wardrobian

Re: What DO they teach them in the schools these days?

Postby Leslie » October 22nd, 2004, 10:40 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 23rd, 2004, 9:06 am

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe Chapter 5 Back on This Side of the Door

Its when Peter and Susan are asking Digory's advice about Lucy's story.

'Nothing is more probable,' said the Professor, taking off his spectacles and beginning to polish them, while he muttered to himself, 'I wonder what they do teach them at these schools."

Ironically this is something I often wonder myself. An important thing to learn is HOW to learn. And around here the ability to think and reach conclusions based on events and things said is something that emost people and not just the children seem to lack.
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Jenn » October 23rd, 2004, 2:02 pm

Food is good!
Jenn
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » October 23rd, 2004, 7:50 pm

I don't think there is any shortage of voices... Screwtape says somewhere that the devils have managed to get the sensible writers pretty much ignored. People say that Christians don't make their views known - hence we are in a way 'blamed' for the general prevalence of amoral values and so on. I disagree - having listened to BBC Radio 4 a lot recently, including some of Westminster Today, I have several times heard very explicitly and clearly, on national media and in the House of Commons, some views I would strongly agree with - pro-life, against unrestrained genetic experimentation, and so on. It's just that these views are 'unpopular' and derided. Well, people will think what they want to, but it's worse for them if truth has been plainly stated and they have chosen to disregard it.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby john » October 24th, 2004, 9:09 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Jenn » October 24th, 2004, 2:55 pm

Food is good!
Jenn
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 4th, 2004, 12:31 pm

Perhaps that during the time The Lion, the Witch, and Wardrobe was set in --during the Second World War-- reading and studying fairy tales might not have been encouraged in the elementary schools. I recall reading that Lewis had some negative experiences with the schools as a child, and this may have been a comment relating to that, although I am not certain. At that time stories about other worlds would often have been frowned upon-- whether they were true or not. When the Narnia books were published, fantasy stories became more popular as imagination would then be considered to be more beneficial for children.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » November 4th, 2004, 6:14 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 5th, 2004, 4:15 am

I'm not so sure that it isn't about fantasy. They are talking about the existence of other worlds. Although it is true that there is a certain logic in believing what Lucy says is true, as the Professor says, they are also talking the existence of Narnia outside this world. To grasp that such a world exists (have the imagination for it) one must read the right books, e.g. fairy tales. Remember Eustace in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, who had read only books about exports and drains but needed something more imaginative. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy also needed an understanding of fairy tales to help in knowing Narnia and later, Aslan. It is closer to a knowledge of the heart. This is something different than mathematical logic, which certainly would not be enough to comprehend Narnia and the Lion who made it.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2004, 4:32 am

Maybe it is about both fantasy and logic. Perhaps the point is that the two do not have to be seperate. Some things that we deem fantasy, like the existance of other worlds, are not logically impossible, but due to what is often taught in schools, we tend to think they are.

Postby a_hnau » November 11th, 2004, 11:36 am

See also the bit in Perelandra where Lewis writes about the psychological effect of discovering that there are creatures (eldila) who fall across the distinction (now shown to be a false dichotomy) between material and incorporeal (I'm at work so can't dig out exactly how he expresses this).
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 11th, 2004, 3:00 pm

I guess this is something like debating whether science or mathematics is closer to the truth. In math one deals with numbers (something I'm not very good at) but you always (or nearly always) can know if your answer is correct. It is almost a perfect logic. Scientists can explore hypothetical worlds based on what they know, but there is always a chance that something will be discovered and they will have to change their views. This is especially true in astronomy-- there are many things that astronomers know now that they were unaware of in Kepler's and Galileo's time.

But getting back to the topic, aren't fantasy stories or fairy tales set in a kind of similar hypothetical world which has its own logic? I don't think one can know them without understanding how their worlds work. For example, in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Professor Kirke explained to the children that Narnia has its own time and, for the most part, its own rules. This logic was essential for Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy to know before entering that world.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Jenn » November 13th, 2004, 2:23 pm

Food is good!
Jenn
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 13th, 2004, 3:45 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia