This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question re mention of the sound of men's laughter

Question re mention of the sound of men's laughter

Postby nate » January 23rd, 2007, 1:26 am

I would be grateful if someone could help me remember where to look for a remark Lewis made about how great the sound of men's laughter is. I remember reading it, but just can't remember what book it was in. Was definitely nonfiction. Can anyone remind me of where it is? Thanks much.
nate

Postby A#minor » January 23rd, 2007, 2:14 pm

"...You speak of their being great laughers. I trust this does not mean that you are under the impression that laughter as such is always in our favour. The point is worth some attention. ..." -Screwtape Letters, Letter #11

There's several more paragraphs all about laughter. Perhaps that is what you are looking for? You can read all of it If you type in laughter in the search engine, it will be the first result.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » January 23rd, 2007, 6:20 pm

I think the quote about men's laughter comes from The Four Loves, in the chapter on Friendship.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers