This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ch 1a: pp 1-5

For the Medieval Dinosaur in all of us.

Ch 1a: pp 1-5

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 29th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Last edited by Stanley Anderson on March 5th, 2007, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » January 29th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Leslie » January 30th, 2007, 3:20 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 30th, 2007, 4:10 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » January 30th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Nope, you saw through my way of putting it to what I was trying to say. It points out how highly valued the written record was that La3amon didn't try to make it more readable for his poem, but presented it as found.

I used the '3' for the yogh out of sheer laziness, here's the lower case yogh, ȝ, for copy-and-paste as desired. "Laȝamon".

Wouldn't 'historical lingustics' be philology?
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Leslie » January 31st, 2007, 1:28 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » January 31st, 2007, 1:32 am

Sven

Postby Leslie » January 31st, 2007, 1:42 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 31st, 2007, 5:41 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » February 1st, 2007, 5:00 am

That "lack" of defining line between science and religion is something I noticed in reading some of the classics a few years ago. Blaise Pascal is a great example. He uses his mind and theories to expand knowledge and understanding in the field of mathematics and equations, and yet writes a timeless script almost comparable to Proverbs. I have read "Penses" and it must have been a most difficult endeavor to undertake, but he did. And his belief in God did not detract from his understanding of the natural world and the elements within. In fact, you might be able to say that it enhanced it with the strong anchor; in the end, the answers to questions would be found.

In another vein, Emily and Charlotte Bronte blew my mind when I read them. Their seemingly "basic" knowledge of Biblical principles far surpasses most of todays "Christians". In fact, IMO, were they to live in today's world, I would suspect that people would see them as theologians or Biblical scholars. It would seem that years ago, God infused people through society, His Word, His Spirit; now, that is not the case (and I am not saying that God is not working still. He is). But I do not read His Word daily as I should; I didn't grow up in a two parent household that believed in Him and showed His love. Nor did I grow up in a neighborhood that practiced the old adage of, "It takes a village to raise a child". Therefore God's Word and His Spirit are not completely "in" me, living and breathing and alive. Because of this "lack" in me, my intellect, creativity, emotions, and physical being are not as one with God. When reading many of the older writers, whether they be authors of novels, or poetry, or physics, I sense something there that I do not have. Or maybe better to say it this way. I have a dividing line in me and those who went before didn't. And I see this as such a failure and loss, sometimes almost too much to bear.

Pascal described it beautifully when he said, "...in a soul that will live forever, there is an infinite void that nothing can fill, but an infinite unchangeable being." This is the "God-shaped hole", and in this day and age, it seems to be more the norm than ever that this hole is not filled with God, but with anything else we can try to fill it with.

This is another quote from Penses.

The sciences have two extremes which touch one another; the first is that simple native ignorance in which all men are found at their birth; the other is that to which great minds attain, who having traversed every part of human knowledge, discover that they know nothing, and find themselves placed in that very ignorance from which they set out. But this is a wise ignorance which knows itself. Persons between these two classes who have escaped from their native ignorance, but have not yet reached the other, possess some tincture of satisfactory knowledge, and form the class of men of talent. They disturb the world, and judge worse of everything than others. The common people, and men of talent, compose, in general, the busy actors of the scene; the rest despise the world, and are despised by it.

And maybe this explains the linear distinction in some and not others. Some quit before finding the answers, being satisfied with only a little taste rather than stopping at nothing to get to the whole.
How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby bruce n h » August 24th, 2008, 7:23 pm

bruce n h
Wardrobian

Postby bruce n h » August 26th, 2008, 7:36 pm

bruce n h
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 27th, 2008, 11:18 pm

I bought a used copy of EMW Tillyard's Elizabethan World Picture. Interesting how its content parallels The Discarded Image. Tillyard and Lewis co-authored The Personal Heresy.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Return to The Discarded Image