This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Best CON audio books?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Larry W. » January 5th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I also like Dawn Treader the best of the seven stories. I wonder how realistically the sea voyage will be presented when Anrdrew Adamson makes his movie of the book.

The reason why the readings of the Narnia books were only about one hour on the vinyl LP's was probably to reduce the size and expense of the package. Remember how much larger the records were than today's CD's. The LP's had nice artwork on the covers-- the same pictures as on the covers of the old paperback editions but much larger. A set of eight records (or fourteen if they devoted two hours to each book) instead of four would have been more expensive and would have taken a huge amount of shelf space, not to mention the cost of shipping. However, when the same set came out on CD and cassette nothing had changed except that three more books were added-- The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle. But there was also only an hour devoted to each of these books. We had at least twice as much story with Focus on the Famly, but today there is the advantage of the smaller format of the CD's, although the old vinyl still sounds great-- even after 25 - 30 years.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » January 20th, 2007, 12:55 am

well the drama in Aslan's voice still made me cringe even to the bitter (sweet) end, but I realize as with movies, one cannot love everything about the presentation, so, life and dramatic readings go on :)

I have to say that I really love the voice for Eustace and Rillian was pleasant too, once he was "un-spelled" the laugh he did whilst under the spell was flat out annoying, which I found fun.

That is all I can think of right now, except that I kept putting off listening to the last battle, and I liked most of the voices in it. It was funny when I finally turned it on and heard Douglas Gresham talking about the sadness of many when they understood that last battle was the last for Narnia.....I totally related! lol

I think I will head to the library and check out the audio for LotR. I like audio and am so glad that people saw the need for it! With a 3year old and lots of household chores to do, I never get to read anymore....
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 20th, 2007, 4:51 am

There's an audio LOTR?? :idea: Must buy!!!
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » January 20th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Wasn't that the radio program that was broadcast back in the 1970's? It was a long time ago, but I remember it. The version is considered to be quite accurate to the books, and since there were many programs, it offered much of the original story. There are audio clips from the broadcasts on the "Lord of the Rings Fanatics Site" if you wish to sample them: . Radio dramas are not broadcast very often on the radio anymore-- it might be a good idea to borrow the set from a library instead of purchasing it, which would probably be expensive.

I added "The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Site" to my favorites-- one of the best Tolkien websites. I like it so much. :smile: Here is the home page:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 20th, 2007, 8:48 pm

I tried to listen to the Magician's Nephew on tape but I always kept drifting off and thinking of something else. I really have to be reading a book :read: to stay focused. :smile:
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » February 3rd, 2007, 12:03 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 3rd, 2007, 12:28 am

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia