This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

literary/pop culture references to Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

literary/pop culture references to Narnia

Postby matdonna » February 14th, 2007, 4:00 am

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » February 14th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Yeah, there's an Aussie rock band called 'Silver Chair', there's a Norwegian (Christian) 80's style rock band called 'Narnia'. There are references to Narnia in everything from Ted Dekker books to Family Guy.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » February 14th, 2007, 3:17 pm

"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Postby Maid of Ithilien » February 15th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Maid of Ithilien
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » February 21st, 2007, 6:40 pm

Wikipedia's got a whole entry entitled "The Chronicles of Narnia in Popular Culture." Interestingly, it seems to be only the musical references and some of the literary ones that really seem to be honoring the books. Most of the television references are rather irreverent.

And I can add one to the music references. The band Over the Rhine have a song entitled "Jack's Valentine" with the line "It snows in here, it snows forever/But there's no Christmas underneath this weather."
Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

TV reference

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2007, 9:33 pm

I remember once on the TV show Friends, Chandler was asked what the purpose of his third nipple was. He replied that it opened a door to the magical world of Narnia. It was of course, a sarcastic response. Nubbins actually have no magical powers.

Postby captainhaddock » February 23rd, 2007, 2:22 pm

In a rather coarse British comedy series called Gimme Gimme Gimme a few years ago, one of the characters (who was gay - it was established earlier in the episode) was asked if he was gay, and he denied it. The main guy's response was: 'That's because he's so far back in the closet, he's in ***ing Narnia!"
I was laughing about that for days afterwards.
"though Puddleglum...often pointed out that bright mornings brought on wet afternoons, and that you couldn't expect good times to last."
captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 23rd, 2007, 3:36 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » February 23rd, 2007, 6:51 pm

There's a concept album from the 70's that tells the story of LLW...gosh, I have it, but I don't remember what it's called (I think the only time I've listened to it was in the car on the way home after I bought it. It wasn't to my taste)...I wouldn't even know where to look, we have hundreds of CD's.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 23rd, 2007, 11:27 pm

Ticket, I think you are referring to Second Chapter of Acts' album "Roar of Love".... which is still great music! (re-released, I believe - try searching online for either the title or the band)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » February 24th, 2007, 12:33 am

In volume 2 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, there is a brief mention of a top secret government project centered on a heavily guarded apple tree in the Kew Botanical Gardens. The only clue to its origin is a note which has scrawled on it "Narnia?".
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Erekose » February 24th, 2007, 12:50 am

Vivian gets to visit "Narnia" in "The Young Ones", ends up irritating the White Witch and I think he head-buts her dwarf too.

I don't recall which Discworld book its in, but I'm sure theres a mention about wardrobes being dangerous things in The Unseen University because of not knowing where one may end up

/me realises that its been too long since reading Discworld
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia