This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

If they changed the order BACK...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Esther » May 10th, 2007, 12:45 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 11th, 2007, 5:57 am

Is there a suggestion here that Americans need or prefer to be told what order to read a book series? I have often been looking for a list of books in the order of publication, (sometimes they are not printed in the inside or on the back of the book, so I have had to look in card or computer catalogues in a library, or online these days!) and it IS helpful to know if there was a chronological element that varies from the publication dates. [eg Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series spawned all sorts of stories that were set in a variety of times]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 11th, 2007, 5:17 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Postby Leslie » May 11th, 2007, 5:42 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Piemaster » May 25th, 2007, 8:53 am

Piemaster

Postby Larry W. » May 25th, 2007, 10:29 am

I think it's a good idea to try reading them both ways, and then decide what your preference is. As long as it is merely a preference and not a requirement there isn't any snobbery involved. I don't think any publisher would be willing to spend the money to print the set in two separate editions. It will probably be years before any other publisher gets the rights to their own set of the books. It's not like the very old classics such as Treasure Island or Great Expectations, where you have many editions of the book to choose from and no one has exclusive rights to it. Fortunately, the Harper Collins paperbacks are of much better quality than those Macmillan editions during the 1970's They are virtually the same on the inside as the hardcover. I think both of those sets would satisfy most Narnia lovers, who can still read them in the order that they wish. So now we have better paper and Pauline Baynes complete in paperback (and in color if you own that set), which we didn't have back then unless you purchased the more expensive hardcover. And the price isn't too bad either-- at under ten dollars a book.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Piemaster is new here, and thusfar unaware that jumping in new and accusing people of being snobs in your first post might be considered a bit rude.

Piemaster, those of us who prefer the original published order do not do so because we look down on you or others who prefer the chronological order. So there is no snobbery involved. We simply consider the original published order to be better in the overall arc of the Narnian chronicles.

To be honest, the most important thing is that LLW be read first. It is the best book at establishing the character of Aslan, the nature of Narnia, and the relationship between Narnia and "our world". My own opinion is that since Lewis believed the ideas from these books were given to him by the Holy Spirit, then it's best to let the first book the Spirit inspired be the first book read.

- Dan -

Postby Piemaster » May 25th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Piemaster

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 25th, 2007, 3:58 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 25th, 2007, 5:00 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 25th, 2007, 11:04 pm

The wardrobe seems to be the best introduction to Narnia, and you can follow Lewis development of his concepts much if you begin with LWW. So while Magician's Nephew is a creation story in which one might think is where the beginning should be, it was actually written in reflection of the other books which preceded it. I think the Narnian historical order is secondary, while the development of Lewis Christian ideology seems more important as revealed in the publication order. So while the books can be read beneficially in both ways it is perhaps best to read them in publication order the first time.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Piemaster » May 26th, 2007, 9:55 am

Piemaster

Postby jo » May 26th, 2007, 9:59 am

Last edited by jo on May 26th, 2007, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia