This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Regarding the daily quotes

Regarding the daily quotes

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2004, 8:33 am

I'm working on a paper regarding the literary devices used to illustrate Lewis' points of view towards religion.

I found this nice quote on this website:

"People . . . suppose that allegory is a disguise, a way of saying obscurely what could have been said more clearly. But in fact all good allegory exists not to hide but to reveal; to make the inner world more palpable by giving it an (imagined) concrete embodiment."
The Pilgrim’s Regress, preface, paragraph 23Highlights in the History of Children's Fantasy

Now, I'd like to use this for my paper, but I'm unsure on how to cite it.
Am I allowed to use it? Should I cite the website? Or the book, itself?

I know these might be silly questions, but I honestly don't know and would like to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks!

PS. I looked at the copywrite section, but wasn't clear on if it included someone writing an essay.

Re: Regarding the daily quotes

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2004, 8:35 am

Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section!

Postby carol » November 27th, 2004, 11:32 am

If they are quotes from books by Lewis, then it would surely be correct to cite all the details of the book. If it is from a paper etc, then the details of the paper and the place it was published.

I don't know whether you have to cite a website as the place you saw the quotation, since the book/paper is the primary source. Occasionally I have given the original, then added "quoted in X".
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2004, 9:59 am

Return to Questions & Answers