This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

the meaning of Tumnus

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Solomons Song » August 23rd, 2007, 1:40 am

I've heard on many occasions that the whole Narnia series was sparked by a picture of a faun walking through a snowy wood carrying an umbrella. But if he charactered Tumnus after anyone is anyone's guess. I heard he patterned Ransom after Tolkien somewhere (though I cannot remember where) and then heard that Tolkien returned the favor by patterning Treebeard after Lewis.

If anything, I consider Shasta (Cor) to be the best picture of Lewis. Poor, with a slaves existence when he was an atheist, but haunted by a sense of wonder of "what might out there". In the same way this led Shasta to travel north, it led Lewis to Christ, where Shasta (and Lewis) ultimately came into their true inheritance, and given his true name (identity) by their father (God).

Hmm. I guess this would make Bree, Tolkien :lol: With the emphasis Tolkien gave to horses in LotR, I imagine he would have been honored to have been made into a talking horse.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Postby Roonwit » August 24th, 2007, 5:52 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby King Peter » August 25th, 2007, 12:36 am

"But if the Witch could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards." - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Peter
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 27th, 2007, 2:11 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 28th, 2007, 9:10 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 28th, 2007, 5:32 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 28th, 2007, 5:40 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » September 8th, 2007, 8:52 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia