This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Looking for a Lewis quote on sexuality

Looking for a Lewis quote on sexuality

Postby Jon Himes » October 23rd, 2007, 4:30 am

I have been trying to locate a quote by Lewis in which he talks about human sexuality as something that may extend into the afterlife. He states that even though it may not be used there at all (for procreation or otherwise), it may be like a holstered sword that a soldier bears with him as a sign of good service. I.e., sexual identity, if properly used in this life, may be retained in the next as a reflection of good stewardship in reflecting the divine glory in that aspect of life.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I have looked in many Lewis texts and have asked a couple of friends also to look, but we've turned up nothing. Here's what I've consulted already: The Four Loves, The Great Divorce, Mere Christianity, Letters of CSL (ed. by WHL), Letters to Arthur Greeves, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength.
Jon Himes

Postby repectabiggle » October 23rd, 2007, 4:31 pm

This doesn't sound familiar to me, but you might look for it in the chapter titled "Heaven" in The Problem of Pain.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » October 23rd, 2007, 8:13 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby loeee » October 23rd, 2007, 8:25 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 23rd, 2007, 8:40 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 24th, 2007, 7:11 am

"trans" is one of those words/prefixes that had two different meanings in its original language (in this case, it was a Latin preposition).

My dictionary says it means "across, through, on the other side of".

Does that make sense? It's a place of being beyond the sexuality we have here. - presumably into something else.
carol
Wardrobian

Miracles!

Postby Jon Himes » October 24th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Jon Himes

Return to Questions & Answers