This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

If made into movies....

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

If made into movies....

Postby ransomed » October 31st, 2007, 10:41 pm

ransomed
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 1st, 2007, 12:45 am

Well, as with any good book that is made into a movie, the producers and writers will twist everything around until the story is barely recognizable and the characters are compromised and the entire moral direction is opposite to that intended by the author. So... I'm sure the film producers will update any scientific facts that Lewis got wrong. :smile:

Why do you ask? Have you heard that someone is making the Space Trilogy into film?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby ransomed » November 1st, 2007, 1:01 am

Well, I would like to put it into some visual form myself. Like a graphic novel. I'm going to start it and I realized it will be a total waste of time if Lewis estates/publishers do not want to do anything with it. On the other hand I have a love for the books so, in that sense it won't be a waste of time in the end.

I'm just trying to decide what to do with the whole Mars thing. I'm a stickler for accuracy (not a big fan of the LoTR and Narnia films!). I'm thinking maybe I could just not identify the planets. Thoughts?
ransomed
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 1st, 2007, 1:25 am

I'm sure that others will make mention of copyright issues..

So I'll stick with the bare bones.

Scientific Accuracy is a bug bear for SF writers.

The number of SF stories written by the classic writers of the day which were made "outdated" prior to publication because something new was discovered in the interim is beyond counting.

However, for me, I would find no problem with the idea of a film that depicted Mars in the sense that its described in OTTSP for example.

It's not the accuracy of the science (within the context of whats known at the time of writing) thats the issue.. but the story and the background that count.
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » November 1st, 2007, 10:11 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby ransomed » November 1st, 2007, 10:30 am

ransomed
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 1st, 2007, 7:42 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby ransomed » November 1st, 2007, 8:35 pm

Do you know where that is from and if Lewis was given any acknowledgement for the influence?
ransomed
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 1st, 2007, 9:08 pm

It's from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, vol. 2. No, there wasn't any acknowledgment of Lewis, but the League books allude to dozens, maybe hundreds, of other books in their pages. In another part of the book there is a single sentence mentioning a heavily guarded compound containing only an apple tree, with the notation "Narnia".
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » November 2nd, 2007, 12:27 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 2nd, 2007, 8:56 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 2nd, 2007, 11:10 pm

Paul French was a pen name used by Issac Asimov to write juveniles like the 'Lucky Starr' books.
Sven

Postby Erekose » November 2nd, 2007, 11:56 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 3rd, 2007, 12:14 pm

No, he intended to write under the pen name from the beginning. The "Issac Asimov writing as Paul French" was only on the later reprints, not on the originals. (The editor in question was Walt Bradbury of Doubleday.) When he wrote the first one, Space Ranger, the idea was that it would be developed into a TV series, and he didn't want his name associated with TV. After the first one came out, the TV idea was dropped, and he ceased trying to conceal that he was the author. Most of the errors in the stories reflected current (1950s) scientific beliefs, hence Mercury is described as having one face permanently towards the Sun. The other errors, like canals on Mars, were 'willing suspension of belief' in order to provide a background for the stories.
Sven

Postby ransomed » November 5th, 2007, 11:41 am

Believe it or not, the above discussion has been a great help!
ransomed
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy