This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Space Trilogy fan art

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

"Very superstitious"

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 18th, 2006, 12:37 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » August 16th, 2007, 6:45 pm

I would love to see some more fanart, or any art inspired by the Cosmic Trilogy - there doesn't seem to be much of it about! I tried sketching a sorn, partially basing the head on Brian Froud's version. Getting my head around the 'sorn anatomy' proved difficult - I think I'll have another go later on. I thought that the chest area would be somewhat broad in proportion to the rest of the body as I imagine that they would have massive lungs, to be able to breathe easily in the high-up places of Malacandra. But they are also described as being very elongated and spidery, so the limbs would have to look sinewy, but 'too long' and gaunt at the same time. Any suggestions on how the sorn anatomy might work out on paper?

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Sorn Sketch

Postby Kanakaberaka » August 19th, 2007, 2:19 am

That's a very good interpretation of one of the seroni, Moogdroog. My own impression of the sorn's head resembles an Easter Island statue, though with more of a triangular appearance. That is, a small pointed jaw and a broad forehead, a triangle pointed downward. IMHO - your sorn should have a broader chest to contain his oversized lungs and give him a more "skeletal" appearance. You can see my take on the sorn over in the Out of the Silent Planet study section under "Malacandrian Doodles".
Keep up the good work.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Sorn Sketch

Postby moogdroog » September 12th, 2007, 10:48 am

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Enlargement

Postby Kanakaberaka » September 12th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Here's another posting of the same sketches, Moogdroog. The Wardrobe website has gone through numerous changes, so it's possible somethings changed over on the OOTSP forum.

TinyPic is hosting this JPEG right now.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » September 24th, 2007, 9:15 pm

The face looks too hrossan, Moogdroog, but 'tis a very good picture nonetheless.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 24th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Moogdroog, I love the modelling [edit: I think I meant rendering here:-)]of your drawing -- especially the head and eyes. You obviously know what you are doing figure-drawing-wise. I think it look very much like what a sorn could be!

I've posted the image below here before, and I thought on this thread, but apparently not. So here is a photoshop exercise I was goofing around with. I wanted to have the green lady by some bubble tree fruits, but I ran out of time fiddling with stuff so I just maxed out the sliders in frustration at one point and it seemed rather 60's-ish to me and I let it stay. And I didn't get around to messing with the fruits on the tree branch to make them look more bubble-like, but perhaps you can imagine what they might look like. I'm told that on some monitors the face doesn't show up (too dark), but she is smiling -- almost laughing, and was supposed to be from the scene in the book where the green lady is laughing at her first sight of Ransom in his "piebald" half-sunburned/half-pale state.

Maybe I should try messing around with it again sometime, but in the meantime, here is the 60's psychadelic Perelandrian green lady picture:-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » January 16th, 2008, 11:30 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Re: Space Trilogy fan art

Postby odouglasj » August 11th, 2009, 7:03 pm

I have posted a drawing of some Malacandrians on my flickr site:

Moderator Edit: Changed image link to BBcode.

I did these sketches when I was in high school and recently I've been re-reading the Space Trilogy. My appreciation of the stories has increased tremendously. I'm at the end of Perelandra now and never before realized the great Eschatalogical (end times) scope of Lewis's trilogy. Much to enjoy and ponder.
odouglasj

Postby Kanakaberaka » August 12th, 2009, 5:04 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby bcd » September 20th, 2009, 1:41 am

I am sorry we changed servers and the pic on my older post was deleted. It is back up now.
Here are some characters I came up with on my own, more or less. I realize that they look a little like my Hross sketches. Maybe these guys will be a flash cartoon one of these days.

Caio,

H~

bcd

Postby KaylinJeffries » February 15th, 2010, 10:56 pm

You are very talented! Love the amber eyes in your first art work and love the 3-d in your other! Go for it!
KaylinJeffries

Postby Supergyre » February 17th, 2010, 9:25 am

I know i've posted these on another thread, but i don't know if you've read that so here goes! these are the images i designed for my bands album artwork!

Perelandra:

Weston as the Unman:

larger images on:
Supergyre

Postby odouglasj » February 17th, 2010, 10:06 pm

It's fun to see all this wonderful fan art. I have another sketch of a Sorn:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/odouglasj/ ... 807669588/

It's not as colorful as some of the excellent sketches posted by other fans but it was fun to draw what I imagined Ransom would look like riding on a Sorn's shoulder (remember that scene?).
odouglasj

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy