This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What's YOUR Middle-Earth Address?

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

What's YOUR Middle-Earth Address?

Postby A#minor » October 4th, 2007, 11:28 pm

If you lived in Middle-Earth, where would you live? What would your house be like? Who would live near you?

I would live in Minas Tirith where I could study in the libraries and work in my little garden/courtyard on the 4th or 5th level, but I would have a summer house by the sea in Belfalas probably near Dol Amroth.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » October 5th, 2007, 2:15 am

Since I'm a college professor, I'd probably live in Minas Tirith or some other Gondoran city, unless I were sent to teach at a branch campus being established somewhere far out on the Rohan plain, probably some adult education scheme for riders retooling to be biology technicians after the war. However, in my heart of hearts, it's hard not to think of setting up in The Old Forest to live like Tom Bombadil, but only if Goldberry had a sister.
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 5th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Not the slightest time delay in choosing -- it has long been Rivendell. Tom Bombadil's house is up there too. But I suppose the "realistic" choice would have to be what we named the family room addition that we built onto our house a few years ago -- Crickhollow, the house that Frodo was suppose to move into when he left the Shire and only spent less than a day at with Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Fatty Bolger. In the book it is very cozy and seems nicely situated between the comfort of the Shire and the adventure and unknown of the Old Forest along with the security and friendship of Farmer Maggot and the Bucklanders -- a sort of "on the edge of Fairie" feel, I think.

(I'll also mention, as I have often before, that we named our garden "Bywater Garden at Three Farthing Stone" which is "layed out", in a manner, after the four farthings of the Shire, with several "landmarks" representing various things and places in the Shire.)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » October 6th, 2007, 9:46 pm

I would be torn between Rivendell and Emyn Arnen in Ithilien (post War of the Ring). Rivendell would be a dream come true, but I don't know if I could handle the lack of change. Though the library I assume is there would be worth it. Emyn Arnen sounds like someplace I'd like: Out in the country, away from the bustle of a city, but close enough to visit the library in Minas Tirith on occasion. Plus, with the elves living in Southern Ithilien and presumably helping with the construction of Emyn Arnen, it might have a bit of elvish feel to it.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » October 28th, 2007, 2:26 am

I've always loved forests intensely, so it would have to be one of the great forests of Middle-earth. [I even much liked the initial discription of Mirkwood in The Hobbit the first time I read it (in 1966, as I recall).] So, today, depending on my mood, I'd have to go with either Lothlorian or Fanghorn.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby LadyKeladry » October 28th, 2007, 12:23 pm

I think I'd either live with the hobbits or the dwarves... they've always been my favorites, and the descriptions of their territories made me wish to be transported there. :pleased:
LadyKeladry
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » November 1st, 2007, 7:12 pm

False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby surprisedbyjoy » December 7th, 2007, 3:14 am

Want to bury your Beanie Babies? Visit:
http://beaniemortuary.tripod.com/

"Surprised by joy--impatient as the Wind."
-Wordsworth
surprisedbyjoy
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » December 14th, 2007, 3:06 am

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby contra mundum » December 14th, 2007, 3:42 pm

“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 28th, 2008, 12:50 am

Rivendell. Home of knowledge and wisdom, with a lively outdoor life and excellent stables.
But what would I do? probably some third assistant storeskeeper who was always getting into trouble by asking nosy questions about elvish biology [if hybrids are fertile, are there really 2 species?] and writing a book about elvish political economy
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » January 28th, 2008, 2:24 am

Rohan for sure. I am getting a little burnt out on all these trees........ :undecided:

As for culture and stuff to read, you'd be surprised at what you'll find out with the rowdy rednecks :tongue: What can I say, it's where I'm at home, and don't worry, I will come into town sometime and track dust through your lovely libraries! :lol:
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » January 29th, 2008, 10:10 am

Bag End. Would be working as a barman, whilst spending some of my spare time writing an epic..
Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » January 29th, 2008, 1:16 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby carol » March 12th, 2008, 8:59 pm

I'd be living in a nice hobbit hole in Hobbiton, or one of the other Shire towns. Not too fancy, and nowhere as many rooms as Bag End, but snug and with room for a visitor or two. Drop in for tea some time - tea is at four!
carol
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences