This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

For those that have read Chesterton's Orthodoxy....

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

For those that have read Chesterton's Orthodoxy....

Postby Adastra » December 22nd, 2007, 7:41 pm

Adastra

Postby postodave » March 29th, 2008, 12:38 am

Well the expert on all things Chestertonian on this site is Rusmeister. He drives me mad with it but send him a private message and see if he will clue you in.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 30th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Wow! I consider myself complemented! Thank you! :smile:

"He's mad! Mad, I tell you!"
"It is not I who am crazy! It is I who am MAD!!!" (Ren + Stimpy) :wink:

Seriously, I would say that Chesterton is a harder read than Lewis - he's harder to follow initially, until you get his drift. When you do, look out!

In his biography (by Maisie Ward), relatives reported that doctors predicted that this kid with his huge head would be either a genius or an idiot.

An idiot doesn't get reprinted for a hundred years running.

I'd say that there are excellent answers at the website of the American Chesterton website http://www.chesterton.org/ . People like Dale Alquist know more. But I’d be happy to do my best to answer any questions here (the OP is an old post that I missed).
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby ABC » April 23rd, 2008, 2:19 pm

Have you read Chesterton's "Heretics"? I found it much easier to understand what Chesterton was arguing FOR in "Orthodoxy" once I understood what he had been arguing AGAINST in "Heretics".
ABC
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 23rd, 2008, 2:50 pm

I just recently read Heretics. Great fun. I think that's one of the things some people may find difficult in Chesterton: he's fun! Seriously, Chesterton is all about unmitigated jollity in refuting nonsense and substantiating truth. And he loves paradox. Oh wow, does that man love paradox, but that can probably be tough to get used to for some readers in our time.

I need to read Orthodoxy. Unfortunately, although Heretics is available online at Google Books, Orthodoxy isn't, which I assume means the one is still copyrighted and the other isn't? Go figure.[/i]
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 23rd, 2008, 4:47 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 23rd, 2008, 5:06 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » May 17th, 2008, 5:55 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » May 17th, 2008, 11:48 am

The ISBN is 0970377215.

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby rusmeister » May 18th, 2008, 1:49 am

Another thing that strikes me more and more (rather than less and less) about GKC is his joy and lack of bitterness - if not for the Marconi history, which did heavily impact him, he would have had a pretty cloudless life. I wish I could be so gentlemanly to people I disagree with and be so cheerful.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby reveal » June 4th, 2008, 6:22 am

reveal
Wardrobian

Postby Cet » June 24th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Cet
Wardrobian

Postby blindlemonpie » June 25th, 2008, 4:37 am

I finished Orthodoxy today, and I thought it was wonderful. One of Chesterton's most commendable attributes is his ability to explain the symbolism and subtle nuances of history and everyday life as a skilled commentator might a work of literature. Afterall, he is offering us a chance to participate in that awful (in the old sense) that is lies at the center of poetry and romance.

Has anyone read his book on St. Francis? I read it a few years ago, and it was my first sojourn in the world of Chesterton. Perhaps it was because I had recently read Omer Englebert's wonderful St. Francis: A Biography, but I don't remember being greatly impressed. The one image that remains burned into my mind is of Francis teaching Christian Europe to rejoice after having endured the Middle ages as a penance for paganism (I wish I could dig up the quote. Maybe later). As Chesterton never intended this essay to stand in place of a detailed biography, I should read it again now that Englebert is not as fresh in my mind. Perhaps I'll gain more from it at the ripe old age of 22. :toothy-grin:
blindlemonpie
Wardrobian

Postby Wixenstyx » October 8th, 2008, 7:51 pm

The only Chesterton I've read so far is 'The Man Who Was Thursday', which was recommended to me by a friend. After reading this thread, I think it's definitely time to raid my local library and see what I can find.

Where is the best place to start, in your opinion? Orthodoxy?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
And one of the elders saith unto me, "Weep not:
Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed..."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Member of the 2456317 Club
Wixenstyx
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 9th, 2008, 5:19 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences