This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Divine Comedy

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Divine Comedy

Postby bruce n h » August 25th, 2008, 7:35 pm

bruce n h
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 25th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Hi bruce,

Not sure how much you've been able to see of the book itself, but you can read some of it with Google Books and at Amazon .

I. . .guess it's Lindskoog's translation. I can't find anything that says otherwise. I wouldn't bother with any prose translation, personally, but I certainly wouldn't read any edition that has some pages 1/4 text and 3/4 footnotes. Ugh.

Actually, I lie, since the edition of the Pearl Poet's works that I'm reading is like that. But that's in Middle English, and it's the best edition I could find.

Anyway, I've read a few translations of Dante, and while I can't say how they relate to the original Italian, I do like Anthony Esolen's translation and Allen Mandelbaum's.

Hope that helps at all.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby ABC » October 2nd, 2008, 6:37 pm

ABC
Wardrobian

Re: Divine Comedy

Postby cyranorox » February 27th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Sayers' is wonderful, and I doubt you will find better, if you like her high, brisk, lively English. More importantly, she is a believer, and thus comes with an understanding that informs her choices. Esolen is, sort of, but imho he's a classic Christianity-And case, the And being buttheaded wingnut views. I like Merwin's, and I don't know his views.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences