This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

If made into movies....

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Postby Bill » November 5th, 2007, 10:07 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » November 20th, 2007, 2:52 am

I personally hope that they don't make them into a movie...
"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » November 22nd, 2007, 6:34 am

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 25th, 2007, 9:00 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » August 5th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I believe the earlier reference to "Journey to the Center of The Earth" is appropriate as far as the science (or lack thereof) goes. We all know there's nothing living at the center of the earth. But come on ... it's a movie!!! (No, I haven't seen it. ) Just go along with it. I think the same principle would apply to Lewis' ST work.

So, I think OoTSP and Perelandra would work well as movies for the most part.

However, the um ... dress code ... of Perlandra could present a problem. It's vital to the story. It communicates the idea of an unfallen humanity; one as yet untainted by sin. To take it out is to remove a large element of the story. To leave it in presents obvious issues.

Don't know how you'd get around that.
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 5th, 2008, 6:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » October 14th, 2008, 3:17 pm

"Is that a bubble-tree you're standing behind, Doctor Ransom, or are you just happy to see me?" :lol:

Of course the Green Lady's nakedness is more central to the plot than Ransom's is: his clearly identifies him with the Lady, morally, but a case might be made for a faithful (in sense and meaning, if not in detail) adaptation with him deliberately clothed. But a great number of careful camera angles and well-timed dragons and piebalds will be necessary, I think. And give her a green Lauren Bacall Wig a la The Big Sleep to keep her from looking like Miz Jolie in Beo-whurck.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Les Nordman » November 11th, 2008, 1:15 am

Les Nordman

Postby rusmeister » November 11th, 2008, 2:12 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: If made into movies....

Postby CSLFAN » March 15th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I read the Space Trilogy a few months ago and also found myself trying to visualize what they'd be like in films. While I am a stickler for accuracy in book-based films, I also would like to see a little "real world accuracy" as well. Here are the ideas I came up with.

For "Out of the Silent Planet", a neat scene would be Weston's ship (maybe with sail-like panels to harness the "Weston rays", aka solar radiation) flying into the Martian atmosphere, a nice panning shot of the planet's rock, dusty surface, and then follow the ship down into a misty valley where the rock becomes green, the vegetation purple, and basically follow the rest of the description from the book. Maybe even show a few petrified trees near the top of the valley. Another idea would be to have the shot of the Martian surface come later, when Ransom is on the Sorn's shoulder, having him glimpse the surface for a moment before descending to Meldilorn.

I had to put in a great deal more thought into Perelandra, but the answer that came to me was much simpler. For a film version, at the end, before Ransom gets into the angelic coffin ship (best name I could think of, sorry), he would voice his concern to Tor and Tinidril about other humans like Weston discovering their paradise. They would then tell him that he needn't worry, that Maleldil has graced their world so that one looking in from outside, if their gaze could pierce the atmosphere (with telescopes, satellites, etc.), would see only a barren, inhospitable world (maybe even hint at how only a select few can come/return to Perelandra, which would be a little hint at Hideous Strength's reference to Arthur).

And as for Tinidril's nudity, I think it could be handled modestly without making her seem to non-human (like Mystique from X-men). As for Ransom's, as well as Weston's and Devine's (from OOTSP), that could be reasonably ignored for a film version, as space could be presented as colder than in the books (at least when traveling in Weston's ship, maybe the Eldil ship wouldn't have that problem).

Just my thoughts.
CSLFAN

Postby CSLFAN » April 10th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I just thought I'd put this out there. When I heard this music, it instantly struck me as perfect for a movie trailer for OOTSP, if not the film itself. It particularly brings to mind parts like the hunt with the Hrossa or attempting to journey from one handramit to the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPUExZCWwY

The company that scored this piece specializes in making short musical pieces for movie previews. Any thoughts?

Also this one has always reminded me of Perelandra, especially Ransom and Tinidril riding the sea creatures. It's by the same company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rxozYEx ... re=related
CSLFAN

Postby narnia56 » April 11th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Hey, I have one too. :dance:

narnia56

Postby CSLFAN » April 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Something I realized about "With Great Power" and "Serenata", they are both similar to Ransom's description of the eldila at the end of Perelandra, the former more masculine and the latter more feminine, at least to my ears.
CSLFAN

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy