This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Inklings Movie

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Inklings Movie

Postby Michael » February 13th, 2009, 6:37 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but does anyone else think a movie about the Inklings would be a great idea? Who the best casting choices be for Lewis, Tolkien, Sayers and the others?
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Re: Inkings Movie

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 17th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, many of my choices are already dead, but if they weren't I'd say, for the main characters:

Tolkien - Paul McCartney
Williams - George Harrison
Warnie - Ringo Starr
Lewis - John Lennon
Joy - Yoko Ono

The theme of the movie could be about the breakup of the Inklings after Lewis married Joy and the others thinking that it was her fault that they couldn't meet as a group any more.

Ok, just kidding of course. I was really talking about the B.S. Clueless version in my comments above:-)
--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: Inklings Movie

Postby galion » February 17th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Unfortunately Dorothy L. Sayers, if that's who Michael meant, was not an Inkling, though she corresponded extensively with Lewis and Williams. I don't think she knew any of the others - she was indifferent to Tolkien's work, and Tolkien, after initial attraction, came to "loathe" Lord Peter Wimsey "and his creatrix". She certainly never attended an "inkling" - and anyway, she was a WOMAN!

As to who could play her ... listen to my mind boggling :lol:
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » February 18th, 2009, 1:41 am

I wonder what the story line could be. For conflict and drama you'd have the tension/dislike between Williams and Tolkien, Warnie's drinking problem, and the sundering of Lewis and Tolkien's close bond, perhaps partly due to Lewis's growing relationship with Joy Gresham, but real life doesn't provide a resolution to any of these that would wind up the story with a good theatrical catharsis. The end of the movie would be fairly gloomy, unless a fictitious happy ending was tacked on.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 20th, 2009, 10:03 pm

If the movie was at all honest, the ending(s) would presumably be death - though this need not be gloomy, as I believe somebody once said. But I still can't imagine it.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » February 21st, 2009, 4:46 am

I was thinking gloomy not because some of the main characters die, but because of the surrounding circumstances. Lewis and Tolkien never really mend their rift, Warnie falls to pieces after Jack's death, the Inklings haven't met properly for years ... I dunno ... I can't see a decent story-like ending suitable for a film derived from the real-life events -- not even a bittersweet one.
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » February 21st, 2009, 6:36 pm

first off, applause to stanley for a well-done joke in poor taste. i actually groaned when i realized what it said.

second off, if they were to make a movie, could they possibly end it at lewis' death/ funeral? don't worry about how warnie fell apart or anything like that, but leave it on that high note: the one man who made heaven the most real for so many people gets to see it finally. i think that would be a brilliant ending.
gameld
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » February 25th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I don't know, I was thinking of Mel Gibson as Lewis
Tommy Lee Jones as Owen Barfield
Burt Reynolds as Tolkien
...just some possibilities
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 25th, 2009, 10:33 pm

But Burt Reynolds would have to shave his mustache off, and I'm not sure how well that would sit with him.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » February 26th, 2009, 4:43 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby The Quangle Wangle » January 25th, 2010, 5:46 pm

I think the early life of Tolkien would make a good movie - schooldays, the 'TCBS' (his group of school friends, most of whom died in WW1), romance with Edith, service in the war, first beginnings of 'the Silmarilion'. It would make a pretty good story, as well as showing the events that shaped him and were such a large influence on his writing.
The Quangle Wangle

Return to Inklings & Influences