This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

It seems like there's always a "but"

It seems like there's always a "but"

Postby deadwhitemale » February 23rd, 2009, 8:17 pm

"Salvation is free, but... . "God is forgiving and merciful," but... . "But, but, but," and so on, seemingly forever.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Re: It seems like there's always a "but"

Postby archenland_knight » February 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

From the standpoint of the logician, there is really no difference between "but" and "and". So, it works just as well to say, "God is merciful and forgiving and Holy and Righteous" as opposed to "but". "Salvation is free AND ..." okay, I'm not sure what you were going to put after "but" on that one.

I know of no software development tool or programming language that has a "but" operator. They all have an "And". They all have an "OR". Some of the older ones had an "XOR" (exclusive Or). Never have I encountered a "BUT". You don't need it. "AND" serves the same purpose.

My point is that I try to look at theological issues with the "AND" operator as opposed to the "BUT" operator. It handles all the same situations, but helps me see things a little more positively.

Perhaps you could share some of the specifics "but" clauses that seem to be giving you trouble.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 23rd, 2009, 9:07 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » February 23rd, 2009, 9:53 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 24th, 2009, 1:51 am

mitchellmckain

Postby postodave » February 24th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I agree with Mitch.
Someone once asked Karl Barth to summarise his theology. He said 'Jesus loves me this I know for the bible tells me so.'
You sound like you feel judges Deadwhitemale.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy