This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 4 - part 5

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 4 - part 5

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 7th, 2009, 8:52 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 4 - part 5

Postby The Bigsleep J » April 8th, 2009, 5:54 am

This part of the chapter reminds me of the first chapter of The Screwtape Letters where Uncle Screwtape talks about an academic who was one of his "patients". In this chapter Screwtape distracted the academic (an atheist) from considering Christianity by showing him "the real world" when the man went out on lunch, thus distracting him. The section with Mrs Dimble and Curry seem to almost be an inversion of that, though here for Jane the real world turns out to be a more complex and sinister place than she admitted.
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Wake up and smell the coffee

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 8th, 2009, 8:07 am

I had not thought about comparing this section to The Screwtape Letters, TBSJ. You certainly have a point about it's inversion here.

You have me thinking about a small detail here. The cafe' Jane drops into after her encounter with Curry is named "Blackie's". In my mind this conjures up visions of black coffee. Pure caffeine, undiluted with milk or sweetened with sugar. Just the sort of wake-up call I am sure Jane must feel at this point of the story. It's almost subliminal. :coffee:
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength