This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Does being happy prove you're right?

Re: Does being happy prove you're right?

Postby archenland_knight » April 13th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » April 13th, 2009, 9:42 pm

I'm really not a follower of Ayn Rand -- not a Randian or big-O Objectivist or "randroid" or whatever. I just agree with some things she said. I disagree with others. I quote her when she says something I think is true (as far as it goes) and quotable. I agree with some things Aldous Huxley said. (I often quote from Chapter Seventeen of Brave New World.) I agree with some things Al Capone and Charles Manson said.

I don't think I am an especially nice guy. Certainly I am not warm or affectionate, or cheerful or outgoing or effervescent.

But am I miserly, etc.? I dunno. At the moment there is hardly enough of anything that I can actually call my own to be miserly or stingy about. I make sure my Dad's bills get paid. The nursing home or the pharmaceutical company or some doctor or some hospital sends me a bill, I send them a signed check. So far none of them bounced. A day may come when one will bounce.

I seem to resemble ArchenlandKnight to the extent that I too ask and expect almost nothing from the government, other than to be left alone. I would very much like to have a house with a roof that doesn't leak and nice hardwood floors instead of beer-soaked wall-to-wall carpet over rotting particle board, and my own clothes washer and dryer, and a toilet that works right. I'd like a lot of work done on my teeth, a pair of shoes that fit and aren't literally falling apart, etc..

I just don't think I have any right to ask the government to take away anything from anyone else in order to supply me with whatever I want or need. I don't see how I have any sort of exagerrated sense of entitlement. All I feel entitled to is to be left alone and not interfered with. I want to come and go as I please without particularly having to explain myself to anyone. I don't want what's anyone else's. I just want what's mine.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby Xara » April 13th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Experience: that most brutal of teachers.
Xara
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » April 14th, 2009, 2:55 am

Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » April 14th, 2009, 4:40 am

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » April 14th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Well, they oppose gay marriage. they have supported miscegenation laws. Buckley, a famous conservative, wanted to tattoo the butts of gay men who tested positive. they oppose readily available contraception and make a great fuss about teaching abstinence to others. they have supported sodomy laws and prosecutions. they have supported or led projects to remove gay teachers. you can find enough examples.
The broader issue is a pervasive interest in other peoples moral lives. I think this stems from Calvinism and its decay products, though the Counterreformation may have some responsibility. that may warrant its own thread, and go into ideas like covenant vs sonship, american exceptionalism vs traditonal eschatology, etc
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby Xara » April 14th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Experience: that most brutal of teachers.
Xara
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » April 15th, 2009, 8:51 pm

archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby timoconnor » June 25th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Sharing your happiness about what is good and sadness about what is bad - this is what makes a man right...
timoconnor

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy