This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Orthodox church and authority

Re: Orthodox church and authority

Postby Xara » April 19th, 2009, 11:38 am

Experience: that most brutal of teachers.
Xara
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 19th, 2009, 5:37 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » April 20th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Bluegoat

Postby rusmeister » April 21st, 2009, 1:45 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » April 21st, 2009, 8:57 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » April 21st, 2009, 9:01 pm

hmm....looks like this is somebody's thesis re: Orthodox & Lutheran in 16th Century

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am

Bluegoat

Postby postodave » April 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm

That was a beautiful piece of writing. It should also be noted that Orthodoxy did have an influence on the shape of Lutheranism. The Othodox and reformed may have disagreed on the issue of Predestination and free will but I gather Melancthon later introduces the idea of synergism into Lutheranism. And this may seem surprising as Luther had an emphasis on divine sovereignty that was if anything stronger than Calvin's 'Men' he said 'are saved like sticks or stones.'. Later Calvinism comes to adopt a kind of top down understanding of predestination which seems to me quite different from either Luther or Calvin.

I have always been puzzled then by the comments of Berdyayev. Berdyayev places a very strong emphasis on human freedom, indeed he says 'man is a child of God and meonic freedom' (meonic - from not being, like Sartre he believes humans have a capacity to create values). But he says 'The Bondage of the Will' is Luther's most important piece of writing. Yet says Calvin produces a reductio ad absurdam of this same doctrine; I wonder if he was reading Calvin through the later Calvinists or if he saw some glory in Luther I did not. But I gather Berdyayev is out of fashion and most Orthodox seem not to read him these days.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy