This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Dr Who meets C. S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

Dr Who meets C. S. Lewis

Postby postodave » October 13th, 2008, 11:16 pm

In the last few series of Dr Who the Doctor has met Shakespeare, Dickens and Agatha Christie. In each case the period has been carefully chosen - for Dickens during a period of disillusionment at the end of his life. For Shakespeare early in his career - he is seen as a sort of Elizabethan rock idol. For Christie at the time of her mysterious disappearance early in her life in order to get the twenties feel. In each case there is a science fiction plot with alien invasion and especially with Shakespeare and Christie their lives are drawn into this. In the case of Shakespeare the aliens use his grief at the death of his son as a channel for their invasion in Christie's case the alien absorbs one of her plots and sets out to kill people accordingly.

So here's my question. If the good doctor were to meet Lewis when would you have that happen and how would you entangle a sci fi plot complete with either time travel or alien invasion or both into Lewis's life?

Incidentally - fanatics will know that Lewis died on the day the first episode of Dr Who was broadcast.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » October 15th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » October 16th, 2008, 10:12 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » October 16th, 2008, 10:41 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » October 16th, 2008, 11:08 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » October 17th, 2008, 1:12 am

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » October 19th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Some of the earlier stuff is missing and some of it is hard to watch now. The way the new series is written uses the old series in something like the way Tolkien used the material that would become the Silmarillion in Lord of the Rings; it gives a sense of depth.

I think it's probably more enjoyable to watch the good bits of the old series than to try to watch in order. Russell T. Davies has a good eye for picking up key moments and transplanting them and giving them a modern sensibility.

You might enjoy this which gives a good selection of old episodes for new watchers:

You might also enjoy this: it's something I wrote a couple of years ago:
postodave
Wardrobian

Re: Dr Who meets C. S. Lewis

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm

The third or fourth segment of the Key to Time (Tom Baker: 1978-79 season) rips off The Prisoner of Zenda. How different would THS be if Merlin were a Time Lord? Or what if the Police Box, as the Doctor examines certain alien jewelry in South London, abruptly relocated to the Wood between the Worlds?
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » May 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I'd have the TARDIS materialise deep in the countryside sometime in the 1920s. The Doctor and his companion would encounter a group of young academics on a walking tour at dusk. They would be reading a map and one of them would be saying to the others "Ten miles to Mudham and we might get beds there."
Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby friendofaslan » June 12th, 2009, 11:07 pm

What a creative topic! Yes, as noted, the series has included great literary figures, so why not Lewis? That would be a fantastic episode and should be sugggested to the producer. Perhaps a link to this thread? :smile:

Maybe the Doctor needs the help of the Inklings and stops in at the pub for one of their readings. He would fit right in! He could hear some of the Lord of the Rings or The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe being read to the group. In fact, the Doctor would love it so much, he would have a hard time keeping his mind on his mission. There's a scholar and a philosopher in him to be sure. Lewis, Tolkien, Williams, and the others must help Dr. Who figure out how to vanquish some menacing evil from another world wreaking havoc on Oxford with their language, mythological, and literary expertise. It could also include little details from their works like a broken sword, a healing liquid, etc. . . .

And it could end with Dr. Who venturing into a wardrobe with a huge grin on his face.
Member of the 2456317 Club. "How will you know? . . . Odd things they say--even their looks--will let the secret out. Keep your eyes open. Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?" - Professor Kirke in LWW
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis