This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Genesis quotation help (Jewish author?)

Genesis quotation help (Jewish author?)

Postby moogdroog » May 1st, 2009, 3:20 pm

I've been asked by a friend of mine to give a talk to her class on how someone can be okay with evolution (or some parts of evolution) and still believe in God. Similar to many other Catholics, I've never had much of an issue with evolution, or at least with the general principles of it. The " does evolution disprove God" debate isn't all that interesting to me. However, I'm mostly going because the class think that Catholics are complete weirdos for most part - they've been using Dan Brown as their reference point for the R.C. church (!) - and perhaps if they see a (relatively) normal specimen, it might help dispel that impression a bit. Well...one can be hopeful, anyway :rolleyes:

I know there's been threads on evolution (just been searching through them and scavenging ideas, especially from Larry Gilman and Alecto - if you are reading, thank you!), and I'm not starting a debate here on it - I'm asking for help in finding a certain quote that I think I read on the Wardrobe ages ago, and I simply can't find again. I only have the vaguest idea of how this quote goes, but it really struck me. I think it is by a Jewish author, and s/he talks about how we take Genesis at all levels - truth, story, myth, and how an adult can understand it, and a child can understand it, or something. It's a short 'soundbite' kind of quote, and I wish I remembered it more clearly. If *anyone* knows what on earth I am talking about...I will be incredibly grateful for any kind of help!
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Re: Genesis quotation help (Jewish author?)

Postby Karen » May 1st, 2009, 3:41 pm

I think what you're looking for is , where JRosemary quotes Herman Wouk.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » May 1st, 2009, 3:45 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » May 3rd, 2009, 5:46 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy