This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Till We Have Faces Movie

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Till We Have Faces Movie

Postby ransomed » February 24th, 2009, 1:38 pm

If TWHF was made into a movie, Would you want to see Orual's face? I think she should be off camera or use strategic shots to leave it to your imagination until she takes the veil. This is just some wishful thinking that a movie would be made!

Also, has anyone thought of doing a book study here? The Space Trilogy studies were interesting.
ransomed
Wardrobian

Re: Till We Have Faces Movie

Postby Zattara08 » May 25th, 2009, 3:23 am

I think this book would be incredibly difficult to do a movie on. Now, I say that realizing they said the same thing about LOTR :smile: but I really do not think it would be attempted or done. Besides, I would be to afraid of being let down.
"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Zattara08

Postby Tom » June 15th, 2009, 4:19 am

Probably my favorite novel. I'd love to see it on screen but I think it would be mangled by hollywood. Maybe not though. Just don't have Adamson direct it. He screwed up LWW even though I like the film.
Adamson screw ups:
1. Providing a reason why Edmund is nasty. Lewis lack of an explanation (I can't remember one) enhances the mystery and dread of evil and makes the redemption scene more filled with awe.
2. Lewis portrays Aslan's magic as from before the dawn of time thus hinting that Aslan transcends Narnia rather than making him merely a great talking beast as Adamson does.
Regards, Tom
Tom
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 25th, 2009, 6:09 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tom » June 25th, 2009, 10:17 pm

I was afraid of putting it that bluntly. So instead of saying that I agree with you I'll say I don't disagree with you. How's that for melee mouthed fence sitting.

You mentioned that Adamson is probably not a believer. Sounds right to me. I was excited to see him interviewed by Christianity Today (CT) but was disappointed that when asked about his religious convictions he refused to discuss them. The episode reminded me of when our Lord said that if we act ashamed of Him before men, He will be ashamed of us in his Father's kingdom. Even if he's not a Christian and he most likely isn't, I thought he acted like a sissy for not even a willingness to describe his world view.
Regards, Tom

p.s. I must give him credit for Shrek 1&2 though. Excellent!
Tom
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » August 16th, 2010, 3:44 pm

TWHF is so deep that it would be a terrible shame to loose any of that to a botched movie version. I just finished reading it for the second time, and was not surprised to see that there were many things I got from the second reading that I missed on the first. I knew this would be the case after I read it the first time and had been looking forward to the second read for months.

I don't think anyone in Hollywood is capable of bringing through all that depth and richness. I think a movie made based on TWHF would be a marvelous movie if they got it even half right, but I fear it would be impossible to do justice to the book.

I wondered myself, though, while re-reading the book, what would be the best way to handle Orual's face should a movie be made. Would it be best to hire a genuinely ugly actress? And would you need one with a beautiful voice, or could that be electronically altered? Maybe get CCM star Margaret Becker to do voice-overs?

It seems kind of cruel to the actress to choose her based on her looks ... lack thereof.

Director: "Congratulations, sir ... I mean ma'am. You've got the part."

Actress: "I can't believe it! That's wonderful! Tell me, what was it that convinced you to pick me? My delivery? My emoting? What sold you?"

Director: (scratches head) "Well, I don't quite know how to put this but ... Gads! You're ugly!!! I mean, good grief!!! You are by far the ugliest woman who's been in here today! I mean, I've seen some ugly women. But, you! You take the cake!"

It just seems cruel, doesn't it? I'm sitting here laughing, but it still seems cruel.

I like the idea of just not showing her face, but it would be tricky. I'm afraid a movie director would simply have her take the veil earlier, which would kind of mess up the story.

I thought about pulling a page from theater of centuries past and simply have a man play the part. But I'm not sure that would look right either. Her body shape and movements still have to be feminine. The movements are especially hard to disguise.

But there's an opposite problem. Who among Hollywood's actresses is really beautiful enough to play Psyche? I'm not sure any of them have that "perfection of nature" kind of quality that the role requires.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Tom » August 16th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Your comment about the ugly actress being asked to play Orual reminds me of an interview with the woman who played the wicked witch of the west in "The Wizard of Oz", still in the top 10 films of all time in my opinion. Anyway in describing how she got the part she said that the director told her they had a part for her. She naturally wanted to know which part. The director said 'the witch of course'. If you rent the movie it might be in the extras section of the DVD. Her description endeared her to me. She rolled her eyes in what I thought was half mock disgust.

TWHF is the best novel I've ever read. I found very profound, the idea that the questions we have for God are the answers because He uses those questions to bring about a response from us that is unique; no one else would ask exactly the same questions or give the same response.
Tom
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » August 17th, 2010, 7:35 pm

I've only read parts of this book but where finding actresses is concerned I'm reminded of the girl cast in the movie Precious (Gabourey Sidibe.) She was chosen to fit a character who was certainly not conventionally attractive but since she is a strong, well balanced person she was able to take the opportunity and make something great of it. She is even helping to challenge the idea of what is "conventionally attractive" in our society. Maybe another movie around a different looking person might be a good thing. I can't say what it would do for the story or the book though.
To faithfully represent very specific physical types in the characters really good CGI might be the best bet.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works