This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vetting C.S. Lewis signature and relation to Clare College:

The man. The myth.

Vetting C.S. Lewis signature and relation to Clare College:

Postby caromia333 » August 30th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Hello,
I have a signed copy of a book that we believe was from C.S. Lewis own library. I purchased it from Pratum Book Co. in California.

I would like to verify some of the info. with the signature. This is a first edition of Arthur Lillie's THE INFLUENCE OF BUDDHISM ON PRIMITIVE CHRISTIANITY published by Swan Sonenshcein & Co. London New York : Charles Scribner's Sons 1893 signature on first unprinted page of the book C.S. Lewis Claire Coll : with an underscore and the date of the published book September 1893

I was hoping you might know what, if any, relationship Lewis might have with Clare College at Cambridge?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Warm cheers,
Carolyn
caromia333

Re: Vetting C.S. Lewis signature and relation to Clare College:

Postby Leslie » August 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Hi Carolyn,

Clive Staples Lewis was born in 1898, and began attending University College in Oxford in 1917, and remained there as a student and tutor, with a break only for his war service, until 1924. He was a fellow of Magdalen College in Oxford from 1925 to 1954. In 1954 he became a professor at Cambridge, and belonged to Magdalene College there. There does not appear to be a connection to Clare College.

Some of the newer editions of Lewis's works have a graphic image of his signature on the cover that you could compare to that in the book you have.

hope this helps
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis