This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Need Help with Mere Chistianity High School Study

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Need Help with Mere Chistianity High School Study

Postby Scramarama » November 11th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Hello - I am preparing to lead a High School study of Mere Christianity and was looking for a simplified study guide or outline of MC. Can anyone point to some resources? I would really like something that has updated - some of Lewis' examples that seem to be a little dated in 2009. Any past threads that might help?

Thanks,

SAM
Scramarama

Re: Need Help with Mere Chistianity High School Study

Postby Sven » November 11th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Moved to Apologetics.

Welcome, Sam.

I find Michael Poteet's study guide to be pretty useful, though I think a bit pricey. It's available as a booklet or a CD-ROM.

Booklet:

CD-ROM:

You can read my review of the guide at the booklet link.

If you do purchase one of them, please consider using our 'bookstore' link in the upper right hand corner of the page. That gives us a few cents without adding any cost to you, and helps us defray the costs of the servers for the Wardrobe.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Scramarama » November 11th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply - Have you seen anything for Mere Christianity? I would like something that elaborated on Law of Human Nature and other concepts Lewis presents in MC.
If there isn't anything - what do think the response in the forum would be if I tried to gather ideas from the members? Eg: Post a question on the Law of Human Nature and get responses. If I do a topical search in the forums nothing really comes up for Law of Human Nature - any suggestions on finding past threads on MC topics?

Thanks,

SAM
Scramarama

Postby Sven » November 11th, 2009, 4:19 pm

D'oh! Sorry, my brain is only half functioning at the moment.

There are several threads discussing MC, for instance the recent HCF thread here in the Apologetics index. You could just go through the titles looking for something that matches with your question.

A better solution might be to start a new thread in this forum with a title of the topic you're looking for information on, for instance, start a thread titled "Law of Human Nature from MC" and in the opening post list the specific points you want clarification on. There's a pretty good number of folks that chime in with ideas. The more specific you make the title and opening post, usually the less drift there is in topic. There's no problem if you end up with several topics all based on MC running at the same time. It actually makes it easier in the future when someone comes here looking for the same information.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Nerd42 » March 15th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Mere Christianity itself seems like a study guide to me ... I don't get why someone would need a study guide for it, seeing as how it's already written on a popular level. :) If you were reading Plato or something, then you might need some sort of study guide.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works