This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Has anyone ever wrote their own Narnia Stories...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Has anyone ever wrote their own Narnia Stories...

Postby Solomons Song » April 21st, 2009, 4:06 am

... purely for amusement, of course? :wink: :lipssealed:

Recently, I have thought it would be fun to get a group of Narnia enthusiasts together and have a Narnia short story contest. Someone would earn the prestige of winning, all entries have their creative talents critiqued, and all us Narnia fans would be provided with more Narnia stories to read.

It is a win / win. :pleased:
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Re: Has anyone ever wrote their own Narnia Stories...

Postby robsia » April 22nd, 2009, 1:42 pm

You might want to check copyright issues on that one. Some authors allow fanfic if it's purely for amusement and not to be published; some others don't allow it at all.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 24th, 2009, 9:18 pm

The CSLewis Company is very strict on uses of Narnian material. They won't sanction anything like a short story contest.

However if you look on the internet you'll find lots of people writing fanfiction including sub-Narnian stuff. Some of it is puerile sentimental drivel, badly written or hideous.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » April 26th, 2009, 10:47 pm

A contest would be perfectly fine as long as there was no monetary exchange. One of my fanfics, Terror Gold, recently won Best Short Story in a Narnia fanfic contest, actually. I'd be happy to enter another contest, at least in a few weeks after school is done.

I agree, there are many, many bad Narnia fics. There are also amazing ones, like elecktrum's Into the West/They Also Serve duology, and her Thole, which is a retelling of Beowulf in Narnia (I'm actually writing a school paper on it).

If you want to look, my stories are at: and elecktrum's are at: .
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby peterlloyd » May 18th, 2009, 1:55 am

I wrote a short Narnianesque novel for fun then published it on LuLu. I thought there might be more folks like me who always wanted more of Narnia. Of course, I could not use the same places or characters, but the style is similar.

the first couple of chapters are on the lulu site
search for "Jack and the Dragon" by peter lloyd

p
peterlloyd

Postby Steve » May 20th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 20th, 2009, 6:39 pm

/me sneaks in.

I have a few "heresies" which I think might be interesting as stories.. but don't have the skill to expand the ideas into stories.

My own personal view is that CSLewis would have been interested to see how his ideas and concepts would be expanded / interpretted by others..

But I can see that without his overall "say" on what is cannon.. the onslaught of "new stories" would corrupt the cannon.. and many would be.. grossley inconsitant.

Vis.. I recall a story being writted by someone many years ago.. which involved "modern day" children going to narnia because a "great Danger" had returned.. using the rings which were dug up from the garden.. (note.. narnia itself is gone.. and erm.. the rings were dug up in The Last battle.. and would very likeley have been givenm to Susan after the inquest into the Rail Accident ahem.. oops.. sorry.. thats somewhere in my heresies..
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » November 21st, 2009, 3:33 am

There is a host of very, very bad Narnia stories out there. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking over, where every 9 out of 10 stories is an author self-insert romances, Susan/Caspian romances, slash fics (homosexual relationship, usually between Peter and Caspian), or incest (mostly Peter/Edmund or Peter/Susan).

It's a sad state of affairs. I cringe just skimming over the summaries while trying to find a good story. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, but there are some gems in there, like elecktrum's stories or The Owl's Pen's stories. And I try to stem the tide of badfic and write stories that Lewis might approve.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby agingjb » November 21st, 2009, 10:00 am

I've sometimes wondered if there should be a story about a young woman who, having endured and survived a difficult puberty and adolescence, and having encountered a pious, unco guid academic during that time whose severe disapproval was, to say the least, unhelpful, later wrote imaginative fiction with an unflattering portrait of her critic.
agingjb
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 21st, 2009, 3:58 pm

I wrote a short story that explored the low self esteem of Lucy as expressed in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. She has a dream where Aslan invites her to swim in the pool that transforms everything to gold. Aslan explains to her that the living can never embark on those journeys or venture to places where the dead reside. They are too delicate and fragile. Only after one passes on can one become 'golden.' It was merely a fancy I had that I wrote down. Nothing special. And it was respectfully marked for copyright infringement when I tried to post it here. lol. I always forget about laws. lol. I am such the criminal.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » November 22nd, 2009, 1:58 am

I'm more interested in writing my own stories, but I've always been intrigued by how going from a child to becoming an adult and then reverting to a child, would affect the Pevensies psychologically. I'm sure Lewis would've never gone that dark or unusual road, but it would be interesting to explore it.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby agingjb » November 22nd, 2009, 9:14 am

agingjb
Wardrobian

Postby carol » November 27th, 2009, 8:13 pm

The suggestions Lewis made - to children - were for filling in the gaps in his stories, not for continuing the story of Narnia after it had already finished and the protagonists gone to heaven!
The idea that young adults, or teenagers, fifty years later, would turn up and write soppy medieval/sub-Tolkienian stuff using his characters, locations and concepts, would have worried the dear man.
And his suggestion was for them to write for their own pleasure and creativity - not to publish it internationally!

Have you never read someone else's version of a tale you love, or someone else's sequel to a classic, or even someone re-telling a joke you like, and it's just not right? :cry:
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » November 27th, 2009, 10:12 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 28th, 2009, 12:02 am

Those Horwood sequels are truly ghastly.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia