This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis and Inclusionism

Please don't close the door behind you.

Lewis and Inclusionism

Postby Fairfax » January 24th, 2010, 3:45 am

I was reading today about the character of Emeth, in The Last Battle, the character who best examplifies Lewis's beleif in Inclusionism.This is the belief that someone may belong to another faith, but might still be saved if one is ernestly seeking Truth. Christ IS that truth, so Emeth was genuinely seeking Aslan (Christ)even though he had been taught to worship Tash.

I have read that some have problems with Emeth's salvation, since he belonged (I would say superficially) to a false faith. Are there any on this forum who do, and why is that?

I've done a bit of research, and I found one site that was opposed to Lewis and inclusionism. As I expected, they tried (falsely) to protray Emeth's salvation as a "works" salvation, and that he got into heaven by doing a few good works even though he followed a false God. This is untrue! Emeth was not saved by his good works. He was saved because, inspite of what he'd been taught, his heart was in the right place.

Anyone who would still believe that a real-life Emeth would necessarily be barred from heaven in spite of the fact that that his heart was seeking Christ (and in that sense was saved already), would be subscribing to a salvation based solely on club membership. This sort of salvation is based on knowing and beleiving certain facts which are required to get in. It has nothing to do with one's heart. And as such, it has nothing to do with morality either. Those who promote such a salvation beleive God punishes those who lack beleif in certain facts. I emphasize the word "facts", because the word "beleif", in a Biblical context, does not mean what it seems many Christians think that it does.

I just noticed the forum rule that said "no debating". I am sorry if this post offended anyone. I would welcome freindly disagreement, (if it's okay) but please, nothing heated.
Fairfax

Re: Lewis and Inclusionism

Postby Sven » January 24th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Welcome, Fairfax.

I moved this thread to the Narnia forum. The fellowship forum is for, erm, fellowship :wink:

If you use the search function, you'll find plenty of discussion already regarding Emeth.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Fairfax » January 30th, 2010, 3:12 am

I was reading today the oft-repeated verse of John 3:18: "He that beleiveth in him is not condemned: but he that beleiveth not is condemned already, becuase he has not beleived in the name of God's only begotten son."

The key word here is the name. This verse seems to imply that one must know God by the right name, or he won't get inot heaven. Theregore a real-life Emeth would be condemned to hell, for merely getting the names of Tash and Aslan confused, even though he sought Truth.

There are other verses I could point to that would seem to condridict this, such as John 21, just below, which reads: "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

Everyone who doeth truth? Or only those who also beleive in the name of Jesus? Please help me sort this out.
Fairfax

Postby Matthew Whaley » January 31st, 2010, 10:03 pm

I think what that verse is saying that if you have believed in something false all your life up to this point and then confronted with the Gospel and reality of Jesus Christ, you are held accountable for rejecting Him if you still hold on to your false beliefs. No one can be held accountable for evidence they have not seen or experienced. As to the verse John 3:18; don't isolate it from the whole chapter. Everything that is said before that verse and afterward should clarify the meaning for you.
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » February 1st, 2010, 7:05 pm

God has promised that anyone who truly seeks him will find him. If he is looking in the wrong place because he has been taught to serve a false God I think that God will find a way to reveal himself to him. Acts 10 tells of a man named Cornelius who was seeking God and God brought him into contact with Peter so Peter could explain the way of salvation to him.
Theophilus
Wardrobian

Postby Fairfax » February 2nd, 2010, 4:53 pm

Are there other places in the Bible to back this up? Emeth, I believe was already in the barn (in heaven) when he met Aslan, so I'm not sure it is the same as with the man in Acts.
Fairfax

Postby Karen » February 2nd, 2010, 5:40 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby agingjb » February 2nd, 2010, 8:00 pm

Is "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." relevant?
agingjb
Wardrobian

Postby Fairfax » February 3rd, 2010, 3:11 am

Okay, thanks, I think I've got it now.
Fairfax

Postby Dan65802 » February 17th, 2010, 9:47 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia