This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really...)

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really

Postby Bill » March 18th, 2005, 11:30 pm

I have just read through this thread again and am really amazed at the difficulties people seem to have with the trilogy. I think the first book is such an easy read almost to the point of being almost childlike. Even the beginning I find very readable. Perhaps as a walker myself I am on his wavelength from the word go.
Most of Perelandra I find very readable and again I particularly like the atmospheric introduction. The only bit I do find a bit long winded is the struggle in the dark.
With regards to That Hideous... I must admit I do find this slightly difficult in places if I am absolutely honest but not overwhelmingly so. Again, perhaps it is just a little longwinded at times.
I am wondering if it possibly a generational thing. Perhaps being a little older than some of the members of the forums, I might be slightly more in tune with the style of writing?

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 19th, 2005, 1:11 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Re: Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really...)

Postby LadyKate » July 15th, 2009, 4:33 pm

I disagree that a generation gap is the cause for having a hard go with the ST. I'm only 26, and I have always loved the books -- in fact, they are among my Top Three Book Series of All Time. THS is a bit chewy, I admit, but I love Lewis' slightly archaic style of writing. Of course, this could be entirely due to the fact that the emphasis of my Lit. degree was Medaeval British Literature.

I remember reading the ST for the first time in fifth grade. It was for the first book report that I ever wrote, specifically on OOTSP. I'm a linguistics nerd, and I found Lewis' descriptions fascinating. My mother had to go to my school and tell the teacher that yes I did read this book and wrote the report myself. Ha. I remember getting in trouble once when I was younger whilst riding in the car with my family, by saying that I felt "knocked up," a phrase that Ransom uses at one point. I was mortified when my mom told me that knocked up = pregnant.
LadyKate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » July 16th, 2009, 3:20 am

I said I was young and dyslexic, not just that it was concerning the generation gap. I'm 25 now.
Isn't it strange how language changes like that? Being knocked-up used to mean you felt like you'd be used as a punching bag (or something similar), now (like you said) it's being pregnant out of wedlock.

I've read The Space Trilogy several times since my post in 2005 and I've enjoyed it more. I still don't enjoy some of the archaic writing style. OotSP was my least favourite, the last 50 or so pages though were very interesting. Perelandra was a bit dull and slow but then it became great when UnMan arrived. I haven't read That Hideous Strength in several years but I remember it was hard to get into but an excellent read. Very odd though.

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby galion » July 16th, 2009, 7:28 am

"Knocked up" is of course one of a number of instances where the USA and Britain are divided by a common language. If you are staying with somebody over here, do not be worried if they ask you if you want to be knocked up in the morning - all they mean is that they are willing to knock on your bedroom door to check that you are awake.

There are pitfalls the other way too ....
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » January 21st, 2010, 10:25 am

"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby Supergyre » January 30th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Supergyre

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » February 1st, 2010, 1:18 am

In terms of writing style, the first book is an easy read. But the hrossa names and other species are largely unpronounceable. I don't get any joy out of those sort of things, frankly it annoys me. Tolkien was bad enough with some of his character/place names but this was worse.

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Supergyre » February 4th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Supergyre

Postby galion » February 4th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Possibly a generational thing. I remember northern towns when works would send out a man to make sure men were awake for an early shift, who was known (in Yorkshire West Riding at least) as a knocker-up. This was admittedly a longtime ago....
galion
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy