This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 6 - part 4

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 6 - part 4

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 16th, 2010, 3:04 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 6 - part 4

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 16th, 2010, 10:11 pm

The second pre-emptive editorial Mark wrote was intended for lower class tabloid type newspapers. It reminds me of the sort of stuff found in our New York Post here in NYC. It's intent is to arrouse the aggravation of the public about what really set off the riot.
Almost every paragraph begins with a question. "What is happening at Edgestow?", asks Mark. He then goes on to supply the obviously correct answer, as the N.I.C.E. sees it at least. To me it sounds rather like a catechism with it's cut and dry questions and answers. Everything is presented as black and white, without any gray areas in between. Unlike the high brow publication's editorial, this tabloid one goes on to inflame the suspicions of it's readers by proclaiming the riots to be engineered by the enemies to the N.I.C.E. Mark knows he can't fool the common folk about the sort of disturbance in Edgstow. So he has to deflect the blame to others, all those opposed to the National Institute.
Mark then goes on to warn readers about those who would disparage the progress of the N.I.C.E. by refering to them as "the Mrs. Grundies". Mrs. Grundy was a character mentioned in Thomas Morton's play Speed the Plough. She is a personification of the tyranny of conventional thinking. Mark is insinuating that all those who oppose the N.I.C.E. are reactionaries who refuse to accept the spirit of the times. "Squares" would be the name given to such conventional thinkers.

The sad thing is that after all this obvious lying, Mark is impressed with his misleading propaganda. Instead of comming to his senses he feels more at home with his position at Belbury. Lewis illustrates what can happen when any of us fall in with the wrong crowd. We seek their approval, even at the expence of the truth and of the good of others outside the group. We often are unaware of how the company we keep shape our own outlooks on life.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby odouglasj » February 17th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Having stumbled upon this forum study on THS, I am delighted as I recently re-read the novel (within the last couple of months) and I have enjoyed going over the comments. My comment on the passage at issue is I was very impressed with Lewis' grasp of how mass media is used to manipulate public opinion. He made some very keen observations. It reminds me of another professor, Noam Chomsky's concept of ways the government "manufactures consent". Writing THS in 1945 with as much savvy about media and propaganda, I'd love to see Lewis' thoughts if he were to observe the media in 2010.
odouglasj

Postby Matthew Whaley » February 18th, 2010, 3:36 am

I agree with you, reading these articles by Mark also reminds me of George Orwell's account of the Spanish Civil War when major battles he would participate in never were reported in any paper; then reading about battles that never happened in the places they were said to have taken place.

With the writing of these news articles, Mark is now an acting member of the N.I.C.E. and responsible for not only the reaction that his work will produce, but he is also legally and morally accountable for resulting damages and injuries in Edgestow.

I'm begining to think that Lewis is echoing the account of the fall of mankind as recorded in Genesis chapter 3 in this story. The future of the whole human race hangs on what Mark and Jane do. The difference is the man has been deceived and sins, and the woman remains true and does not fall.
Last edited by Matthew Whaley on February 18th, 2010, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 18th, 2010, 2:25 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby odouglasj » February 19th, 2010, 7:15 pm

odouglasj

Return to That Hideous Strength