This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Man or Rabbit? Questions, Commentary

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Man or Rabbit? Questions, Commentary

Postby mwanafalsafa » March 14th, 2010, 7:11 am

mwanafalsafa

Re: Man or Rabbit? Questions, Commentary

Postby Sven » March 14th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Welcome, mwanafalsafa!

As all of Lewis' writings are still in copyright, links to complete selections are not permitted. Quotes such as you've included are ok.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Theophilus » March 15th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Theophilus
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » March 16th, 2010, 7:26 pm

CSL is such a clear mind and help with current conflicts. Culture war? he knows culture is ephemeral, not to be served or idolized at the expense of the person. Christianity as social utility? he scorns that. The Church is not to be harnessed to the service of the rulers, even Christian rulers.

But if you see a bad picture of Christ, in the form of wrong doctrine, misapplied parables, false readings, etc, that is what CSL is talking about in the word against the Son of Man. If you reject the image of Christ shown to you, because it is not even as good as a good man should be [and it happens a lot], you may be confident of reconciliation when you are shown the Truth.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » March 17th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » March 17th, 2010, 3:58 pm

;= >
you were also right in your response to 'Dawkins', and if you want a friendly debate on hypostatic union versus soul-in-container, I'm your man.

;=
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » March 17th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm

I wonder if Lewis's argument isn't seriously flawed. The argument seems to be that things are more to be valued the longer they last and that is surely false. In another essay Lewis deconstructs the idea that the smallness of the earth contrasted with the size of the universe makes the earth less significant. He says that we do not think a man who is six feet tall is slightly more imprtant than a man who is five feet tall and goes on to the suggest that if the argument were valid at the large scale it would be valid at the small scale. Now Lewis is arguing that the materialist thinks the large social units like the state are more important because they last longer; does it not follow using Lewis's own logic that both the Christian and the materialist would think the man who lives 90 years slightly more valuable than the man who lives 70 years. Furthermore should we not then think that if a man at the age of 20 finds he has only 5 years to live his value decreases significantly. I feel that a Christian, perhaps more than anyone, would baulk at that suggestion. And in any case the argument Lewis opposes is surely a straw man; if the materialists do think something like the state is more important than the individual(and some materialists such as the Marxiasts do seem to think this), then it is not for this reason they think it. One of the reasons we value a human person is because a person is an agent and can make significant choices, a Christian will say this is part of what it means to be made in the image of God. A Marxist, and many another deterministic materialist, will deny that human beings make significant choices and say history is controlled by something else (ultimately economic factors in the Marxist case, other things for other types of determinist) and I would suggest tentatively that it is this role in determining things that makes the Marxist or determinist downvalue humans.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works