This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

My CS Lewis, Tolkien & Baynes day; lots of photos

The man. The myth.

My CS Lewis, Tolkien & Baynes day; lots of photos

Postby Baynesman » July 15th, 2010, 9:02 pm

[url][/url]Good evening
By strange coincidence, my business travels yesterday took me from Farnham to Oxford. I've often visited Dockenfield, where Pauline Baynes lived, and Iknow the road in which she lied. The countryside is very Narnian, as one would expect.

I then had to go to Oxford, and decided to visit the Eagle and Child pub, which as most will know was the regular haunt of CSL, Prof Tolkein and The Inklngs.

They would meet and drink in what is now called the Rabbit Room, and I gather that each would read new stories to each other.

The pub is very nice, it has been extended from the two-room bar that The Inklings would have used.

I then visited The Kilns, first walking round the (delightful) CS Lewis Nature Reserve, which is about 100 yards from his house.

I noted two large rocks - seen below, and wondered if one was a White Witch, and one a wicked Dwarf...

I then photographed The Kilns, and as a man left the house, asked him if he minded me taking photographs. "Not at all" was his reply, and he then asked if I was a fan. When I told him I was, he actually asked me if I'd like to come in and look around...

I nearly fainted.

Of great interest to me was the original, painted metal sign for the Eagle and Child. Fans of "The Hobbit" will recognise a scene... this would almost certainly be the inspiration for one particular episode, i my opinion.

Next, I went to the Church in which he worshipped and is buried. His grave is very simple.

Inside the Church is a "Narnia" window, with recognisable scenes.

I have more photos but hope you enjoy those I've posted here.

I had a magical day.

Regards

Mike
Last edited by Baynesman on July 21st, 2010, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baynesman

Re: My CS Lewis, Tolkien and Baynes day...

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 17th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Thanks, Mike: Your post was quite refreshing and your photos great.

Blessings,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: My CS Lewis, Tolkien and Baynes day...

Postby anastasia » July 19th, 2010, 10:53 pm

Thanks Mike! Your photos are great, looks enchanting. I've never been myself, but just got a little taste :smile:
anastasia

Re: My CS Lewis, Tolkien & Baynes day; lots of photos

Postby Mr Hooper » July 24th, 2010, 11:18 pm

What a marvellous set of photos you've posted. I really wish one day I'll get the chance to visit the place.
Mr Hooper
Wardrobian

Re: My CS Lewis, Tolkien & Baynes day; lots of photos

Postby Dan65802 » August 5th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Wonderful. Thanks for the glimpse into your trip!

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis