This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 3 - The Arrival

Re: Chapter 3 - The Arrival

Postby nomad » September 7th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Oh, yes please. At least three more weeks. We can get through another chapter anyways.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » September 9th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Facebook won't allow me to retain my anonymity.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » September 9th, 2010, 4:35 pm

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 9th, 2010, 7:08 pm

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » September 9th, 2010, 11:03 pm

I see what you mean, Nomad, "The hell we know is better than hell we don't know" or "I know it's not good, but it's safe" as it says in the song. Jesus said, " If anyone would be my disciple, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Getting past our pride is the hardest thing, but if we can do that, we can overcome our fears and really know joy.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » September 11th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I think there is still an element of distrust on the Big guy's part. He is waiting to have the door slammed in his face. This is not a generous person and so he is fundamentally distrustful of generosity. I suspect that if the driver had told him he had only 1 hour to get back to the bus he would immediately have started scheming to stay longer. He is only happy with what he takes, not with what he is given.

The lesson he must learn is to open his heart and accept that which is offered freely so that he will be able to give of himself in the same spirit.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 14th, 2010, 4:31 am

Good point, pam. The Big guys is also a bully, as seen by his hitting the short guy in line and then telling the narrator and the other guy on the bus to shut up. He's very defensive of his rights, without caring for anyone else's. I think the "awkward pause" after the driver says they don't have to go back is because, as Nerd wrote, most of them aren't sure what they want to do. And they would have preferred to be told to go back or stay, rather than have to make the choice themselves.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 23rd, 2010, 6:20 am

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Kanakaberaka » September 25th, 2010, 7:24 am

When I mentioned the premise of this book being the fantasy of a bus trip from Hell to Heaven, many of the folks I talked to were interested. Yet when I told them that many of the damned chose to get back on the bus for the return trip to hell, the same listeners could not understand why. Of course I had not given them all the details invented by Lewis. The Great Divorce explains so much about God's Grace, and why so many of us are reluctant to take Him up on His offer to us.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » September 27th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Lewis seems to look at Heaven from a slightly different angle than many people think of it.
He sees it as a tremendous gift that, although it is freely given, is not without cost.
Many of the people on the bus, when they realize that they cannot simply stay as they are and move to higher ground, are not willing to bear that cost.
I believe that it is much the same with people in general. They want to call themselves Christian but they don't really want to change their lives.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 29th, 2010, 5:23 am

Exactly, Pam. And I think Lewis is more perceptive than most who talk about the cost of being faithful or however they phrase it. Most of the time they mention really obvious things, like giving up your carousing or letting go of your material wealth. But Lewis digs deeper and shows with each character the pride or fear or vanity that keeps them from trusting and risking.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » September 30th, 2010, 7:06 pm

I would keep going with this if we could move it to a forum that allows real-life anonymity.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 30th, 2010, 10:53 pm

You could retain some anonymity on fb by using a pseudo name and using a picture of Squeeker or whatever his name was from Saved by the Bell. I haven't been on any of the other Narnia based sites, so I don't know how good they are at this sort of thing. Course, it remains to be seen how well fb works for this sort of thing too.

Thanks for the discussion. Fair winds and following seas to all.
nomad
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Great Divorce