This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote Dilemma Seasons and Cycles

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Quote Dilemma Seasons and Cycles

Postby sunbear » September 23rd, 2010, 1:39 pm

I'm looking for help tracking down a quote and associated work by Lewis.

But firstly, wow. I log in here every few months and am always so happy to find such a strong presence of diverse people all interested in sharing and debating Lewis. I have led small groups and book discussions focused exclusively on Inklings-esque writers (Lewis, Tolkien and MacDonald) for the last 4.5 years and frequently refer people here to either exchange further ideas or to read up on what other people are saying. So, of course, I was blown away to read the announcement posted on September 7th about the forums closing. A sad day surely.

Perhaps before the doors shut this wonderful community would be able to help me one more time?

I'm doing research about the different experiences of the seasons by different religions and cultures and I have tucked somewhere away, in the recesses of my mind, a memory of having read something by Lewis, I thought, where he talked about seasons and about how the seasons gave us enough experience of change to have a sense of things in motion, but that the cyclical nature of them also gave a sense of things returning or staying the same. I don't remember enough of the quote to have had success googling it, and he expressed this so much better than I can. It's killing me trying to remember.

Anyone who recognizes this sentiment from some of the Lewis they've read and can point me in the right direction would be so greatly appreciated. I have a feeling it may have been from an essay in Weight of Glory, or God in the Dock, so I'll be reviewing both of those again but would still love any input any of you may be able to contribute.

THANK YOU!
sunbear

Re: Quote Dilemma Seasons and Cycles

Postby Sven » September 23rd, 2010, 7:10 pm

Perhaps Screwtape Letters #s 15 & 25.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to Apologetics & Other Works