This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really...)

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really...)

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2004, 2:42 am

Re: Why is the Space Trilogy so great? (I'm wondering really

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2004, 5:38 am

Postby loeee » November 19th, 2004, 5:44 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2004, 4:40 am

Postby jadis » November 21st, 2004, 10:52 pm

i think lewis liked to begin his stories under "normal" circumstances. all three books in the trilogy start out rather slow. but he is setting up this very normal, mundane everyday sort of environment which heightens the "fantastic" atmosphere when the "fairy tale" or "science fiction" aspect kicks in. if you can get past ransom's night time walk in efforts to find an inn, (OSP) i think you can get further. it is a very DRY first few chpaters. but SO worth it if you can hang in there.
on the other hand, i know a lot of people who love CSLs apologetics but don't care for his fiction. it's not a sin if you don't like the triology! but of course we would like to convince you......
peace'
jadis
"remember when i lied? just when you needed me. now i sit alone and cry, now i believe in mercy."
-william broad
jadis
Wardrobian

Postby jadis » November 21st, 2004, 10:54 pm

i should i have read THIS post before I POSTED! it's the being on malacandra that bores you?? i suppose the part where he is just living among the hrossa is a bit dry, but it gets better, and the trip back to earth..man, just hang in there!peace
jadis
"remember when i lied? just when you needed me. now i sit alone and cry, now i believe in mercy."
-william broad
jadis
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2004, 4:04 am

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2004, 10:31 pm

the story gets better, it really does. that hideous strength was personally my favourite, and that was harder to get into than OSP!! actually, i just wrote a ten page paper on it, so i'm all for the space trilogy...so yeah, good luck!

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Postby Carrie » February 4th, 2005, 12:59 am

I started reading the Space Trilogy because I felt like I had to. I mean, I love everything Lewis writes, even though some of it can be a bit slow going at times. At first I struggled a bit with OOTSP, but after I realized that I had been expecting it to go as quickly as CoN, I started to get into it more. My problem was that I forgot that this wasn't a children's book and that it was written at a more adult level. I'm not saying that this is a problem for you, but something interesting I discovered about myself while reading.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Postby *~L~* » February 19th, 2005, 5:56 am

I just borrowed the OOTSP from my school library, hoping to read it soon, like tonight, not all at once, since i'm tired from losing a pint of blood, but i hope to start it anyways....and enjoy it...hopefully.
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it's the Lord's purpose that prevails"
*~L~*
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » March 3rd, 2005, 3:43 pm

I have to admit that, out of the space trilogy, I really only love OOTSP. And that is mostly because of the scene where he tells the Oyarsa the story of redemption. It gives me shivers to think of explaining that to someone who has never heard it. Does anyone else get that feeling?
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby *~L~* » March 15th, 2005, 12:43 am

I just finished it. and i had to admit, i could only get through it while i was alone, in dead silence. It was one of the books for me that was hard to enjoy if i had ANY distraction. I like description and being put in another world...but sometimes it's too much for me. Now i have to do a dreaded NOVEL ANALYSIS....a huge about twenty page book report....YIPPEEE......NOT!
But i did like the whole 'Oyarsa'. scene, i think that's what made it for me, without it, i dont't knwo...i'd be bored out of my mind.
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it's the Lord's purpose that prevails"
*~L~*
Wardrobian

Postby *~L~* » March 17th, 2005, 12:29 am

YAY I FINISHED THE EVIL REPORT!!!! time for a happy nap :D
*~L~*
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy