This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 1

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Chapter 1

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2005, 10:43 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 7:43 pm

Well, the text is so straightforward that I really don't have any questions for clarification of its meaning. Does everyone (anyone!) think so? I suppose I only, at this point, have some thoughts on some of the images employed by B.

I've never read, nor discussed, this book w/ anyone before and so at this point I only know that the woman is "Philosophia" because I read this in The Discarded Image and it certainly fits her description. I suppose she is the "embodiment" of philosophy.

Any thoughts on why a woman has been chosen to represent philosophy?

"...her glowing eyes penetrated more powerfully than those of ordinary folk,..."

I guess I consider this the promise of philosophy and it's why I, I reckon, I'd like to read this book! If philosophy can't deliver wisdom, the kind that requires exploration, I don't think I'd be interested in it at all. So, I guess I'm glad that B. and I are on the same page here!

I liked his descrption of her as being variable in height. I took it to mean that she explores both the experiences we have in everyday life but that the character of philosophy is to question everything, an unrestricted "field" of knowledge. To me, one of THE philosophical questions is, "What does it all mean?

I also like the description of her clothes, the finest thread, imperishable material, covered w/ dust! I love that. The finest minds went into this transcendent wisdom but, because of neglect, it has been covered over. Much like Luther, from what I've been told, believing the meaning of being a Christian had been covered over and had to be recovered. I like this type of approach to anything. It makes me feel like I'm an archaeologist recovering some ancient treasure, I hope the book bears this out!

I have no idea why she is so vehemently opposed to the Muses of poetry. I guess maybe we'll see why later. I should say, I read her explanation, I just don't "get it" yet. Of course, she too has Muses and she composes her own verse, I see, to be read when I tackle the next chapter.

I like how he talks about "awaiting" her. It creates a "posture" that suggests to me a spirit of receptivity rather than a spirit of aggression. I like that; it seems to me a mark of respect. I don't have Lewis's Experiment in Criticism handy but he articulates an approach to learning that is receptive in nature and that resonates well, I think, with the idea of "awaiting."

All in all, this is some of the most accessible and approachable philosophy that I've been exposed to. I like it, so far.

Rudi

Postby Karen » April 5th, 2005, 7:56 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 9:51 pm

Postby Karen » April 5th, 2005, 10:11 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 5th, 2005, 11:41 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 11:49 pm

Postby Robert » April 6th, 2005, 1:00 pm

I have read Book I, which I read some years back and am recalling the text to my memory. A couple of things right off I see in the opening. One, Bothius, by characterizing Philosophy as a woman, seems to imply that it is a soothing, beautiful, attractive nature. But, by the same token, he tells us Philosophy has wisdom and authority by such passages as...in her right hand she carried books (wisdom) and in her left a sceptre (authority).

Another thing I noticed was, and a bit of real history, the author was thrown in prison for some treason against the Goths (who had just recently taken hold of this region of the Roman empire) by hiding documents, I presume, that would have condemned the Roman senate. thus, he was labeled one 'Hoping for the freedom of Rome'.

But, in spite of all this, he was not in the wrong. The Goths were just trumping up charges as a means of consolidating their power and hold on Rome. In other words, Boethius felt as if he had followed the guidance of Philosophy (wisdom and GOd's authority), but was left high and dry. And, he also retells the plight of other philosophers persecuted by the state, like Socrates and Seneca. All of whom lost.

In the midst of this, I find Philosophy's answer to his despair very interesting. First, she tells him to remmeber that it may not be the season of his fortune. In other words, he may have to wait, as if waiting for autumn, to reap the benefits of following God's guidance through Philosophy.

But, I think the most significant piece of advice that Philosophy offers is to remember who he is. She seems to be saying to Boethius that his despair is not spawned from his perceived misfortune (the imprisonment, his property seized by the Goths, etc.), but from a disconnect he has received between himself and his mind. He is only focusing on the outer conditions of his life, which are not respective objects to the soul. Rather, if he were to look deeper within himself and find that calm peace that is 'beyond' the physical world, he will see God's purpose, if but faintly, and will not despair.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 4:28 am

Postby Colleen » April 11th, 2005, 1:17 am

Quick question: Chapter 1 in my version is called Boethius' Complaint. That is all we were planning to read/discuss last week? Or were we supposed to read all of Book 1 this past week? That would be a bit much, for me, at least. I see Chapter 2 is ridiculously short--so what's our next assignment?

I have read Chap. 1 and enjoyed it, but I have little to add to the comments.

Thanks,
Colleen
Better is dry bread and fidelity therewith, than a house full of Turkish Delight with betrayal.
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2005, 1:40 am

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2005, 1:44 am

Postby magpie » April 15th, 2005, 9:42 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2005, 12:53 pm

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy