This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Welcome

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Welcome

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2005, 6:23 pm

Re: Welcome

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 31st, 2005, 10:56 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » April 1st, 2005, 5:36 pm

Thanks for your work, Rudif. The books stores here did not have it in stock, so I ordered it today. I will jump into this forum when I get back from my trip. So count me in, but just a tad delayed.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2005, 8:22 pm

magpie,
I'm so glad you're interested; we'll look forward to hearing from you.
Rudi

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2005, 8:26 pm

Stanley,
Good idea, I think I'll do that.

Postby Colleen » April 5th, 2005, 10:54 pm

Hi Rudif and others,

Is there any particular translation of this book that you'd recommend? There is an online version which I may read as I find time. It was translated in 1902...

In grace,
Colleen
Better is dry bread and fidelity therewith, than a house full of Turkish Delight with betrayal.
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Colleen » April 5th, 2005, 11:01 pm

P. S. I found two other online texts at Project Gutenberg, published in 1897 and 1918 (I think). This is something I'd like to read, so I'll buckle down and compare the three then choose one. One includes the Latin text on alternate pages--any scholars up to reading the original? Not I!

Colleen
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 6th, 2005, 12:00 am

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Postby Zan » June 8th, 2005, 4:13 am

Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 8th, 2005, 7:44 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Zan » June 8th, 2005, 8:45 pm

Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » July 6th, 2005, 4:43 pm

I have been hesitant to begin another thread on the remainder of Book 1 since no one has responded to the previous thread. It would appear that of those persons who originally showed an interest in a discussion of Boethius I am the only one still active in the Wardrobe. Since it is no fun talking to oneself (or at least I don't think it is), I plan to ask that this forum be locked if there is no further activity by the first of August.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby john » July 7th, 2005, 7:24 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby magpie » July 7th, 2005, 2:32 pm

M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy