This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vegetarian Christians

re: Vegetarian Christians

Postby Melodee » October 3rd, 2005, 7:56 pm

Melodee
Wardrobian

Re: re: Vegetarian Christians

Postby Summer » October 3rd, 2005, 10:51 pm

People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby hana » October 4th, 2005, 12:26 am

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Authur » October 6th, 2005, 12:47 am

Authur
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » October 6th, 2005, 11:28 am

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Re: Vegetarian Christians

Postby ainulindale » May 3rd, 2009, 4:18 am

ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby Bluegoat » May 3rd, 2009, 11:44 am

I think that as the op and the pp mentioned, there can be downfalls to Christian vegetarianism, such as becoming a kind of glutton or being a bad guest when eating with other people. I don't buy the argument that Christians are morally obliged to be vegetarians because Adam and Eve were or anything like that.

I also don't think that a diet including sensible and sustainable amounts of meat, properly sourced, is less healthy than a vegetarian diet.

However, many people have a hard time fining meat that is ethically raised, by Christian standards. As well, most Westerners eat way more meat than is sustainable environmentally or just in a way that everyone can get what they need. So I think Christians should seek out ethically and sustainably produced meat and other animal products, and not eat too much of it. - No battery hen eggs thank-you!

As well, vegetarianism can be a very good spiritual discipline.

For the record, I like tofu, but not those fake hot-dogs.
Bluegoat

Postby friendofbill » May 3rd, 2009, 3:53 pm

I'm no vegetarian, though for health reasons I limit my meat intake somewhat, avoiding red meat and preferring fish. Jesus ate fish, so I presume it's okay for me to eat fish too.

Besides, vegetarian diets depend a lot on soy, and soy has its drawbacks, particularly for men -- it alters the hormone balances in the body in favor of estrogen. And other good sources of protein are hard to find.

I see no indication of vegetarianism in the bible: I am sure there were no tofu lambs for Passover or tofu fish swimming inthe Sea of Galilee. Seems to me the decision on one's diet is not a spiritual decision but a simple matter of health choices.

Speaking as a carnivore,
Art
friendofbill

Postby JRosemary » May 3rd, 2009, 5:26 pm

Last edited by JRosemary on May 10th, 2009, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Michael » May 8th, 2009, 2:52 pm

I would take it one step further an be vegan if I could. Only for health reasons. I eat meat occasionally because It's hard for me to get the protein I need without overdoing soy. In my opinion some people overdo soy (much of which is genetically modified).
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » May 10th, 2009, 10:34 am

Bluegoat

Postby ainulindale » May 25th, 2009, 8:59 pm

ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby JRosemary » May 26th, 2009, 1:07 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Amy » June 1st, 2009, 6:23 pm

I don't have much to add, seems like it's mostly been said already.

There is nothing wrong with either eating or not eating meat. You can be a vegetarian or even vegan without consuming mass quantities of soy. Food should not become a god.

The big issue I see is not whether a person makes an individual choice about food for him/herself or his/her family (I am responsible for my kids' eating habits, for example). The problem I see is when it becomes:
1. Joyless (no pleasure in preparing and eating the food)
2. All-consuming (you are so busy concentrating particularly on what you can't or believe you can't/shouldn't eat that you do little else with your time)
3. A way to pass judgment on others

I have known several people who fall into the last trap, referring to vegetarians as "better" than meat-eaters. It's annoying, but I believe those people will eventually gravitate towards others who share that view or will drive friends away and realize their error. But sadder still are people who do the first two things. What a terrible way to live. It's almost like food becomes not only an obsession but a fear. This can happen whether one's dietary choices are vegetarian, low-carb, gluten-free, or any number of other things. (I realize that some things are a matter of allergies/sensitivities/intolerance, rather than choice. However, I met one woman who claimed that eliminating a particular food did far more than it possibly could have, along with a judgment that people who eat said food are "addicted" to it.)
Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy