This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

CS Lewis view on magic

CS Lewis view on magic

Postby vanroekel » January 1st, 2006, 7:33 pm

vanroekel

re: CS Lewis view on magic

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 1st, 2006, 8:30 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 1st, 2006, 9:50 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: CS Lewis view on magic

Postby Jeff » January 1st, 2006, 10:57 pm

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese" --G. K. Chesterton

Proud member of The 2456317 Club
Jeff
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » January 3rd, 2006, 2:52 pm

I too agree with A#minor and would only send vanroekel to the perhaps too long entry on magic in the fifth edition of my book.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 3rd, 2006, 2:57 pm

He does talk some about magic. The only qoute I can think of now is this one from The Weight Of Glory"

do you think I’m trying to wave a spell over you.? perhaps I’m but remember your fairy tales. Spells Are used for breaking enchantments as well as for inducing them. And you and I have to need of strongest spell that can be found to wake us up from the evil enchantment of worldliness witch has laid open us for nearly a hundred years.

I hope this helps you
Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Re: re: CS Lewis view on magic

Postby k-mann » April 18th, 2006, 10:21 pm

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy."
-- Albus Dumbledore
k-mann
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » April 18th, 2006, 10:52 pm

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 19th, 2006, 1:01 am

When we see other "gods" and non-human mythological beings in Narnia, they are always in subjection to Aslan. (see the incident with Bacchus and Silenus).

I think this shows that Lewis acknowledges there are a lot of other spiritual powers about, some relatively harmless but others potentially nasty, and a further group definitely evil, - BUT they are only there under the authority of God. None of these powers has more strength than Jesus. "He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world," the Bible puts it.

If we think of Narnia as like a visible, tangible version of the spiritual side of life, then it makes sense for the other spiritual beings to be represented by visible, tangible beings.

Does that add to the case for Lewis?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 19th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 19th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers