This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Inscribed Poem and Chapter One

A study of a book by GK Chesterton.

Jumping Ahead

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 8th, 2006, 7:25 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

The Ecumenical Chesterton

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 11th, 2006, 9:58 am

One interesting comment made by Gabriel Syme was in reply to Gregory's question if it were true that Syme had a religion. Syme smiled and replied "we are all Catholics now".
This has me wondering what Chesterton meant. This novel was published in 1908 and Chesterton did not convert to Roman Catholisism untill 1922. Was Syme refering to being "catholic" in the "universal" sense? Or was it Roman Catholisism he was refering to since he did use a capital "C"?
Even more interesting that Gregory insists that Syme swear to whatever gods he belives in before showing him a secret.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: The Ecumenical Chesterton

Postby lee_merrill » January 15th, 2006, 3:28 am

"As Macdonald said, 'No one loves because he sees reason, but because he loves.'" (C.S. Lewis)
lee_merrill
Wardrobian

Re: The Ecumenical Chesterton

Postby lee_merrill » January 18th, 2006, 2:49 am

"As Macdonald said, 'No one loves because he sees reason, but because he loves.'" (C.S. Lewis)
lee_merrill
Wardrobian

re: Inscribed Poem and Chapter One

Postby magpie » February 3rd, 2006, 10:10 pm

I am late in posting (family issues) but here goes. When I first read this chapter, it occurred to me that Syme and Gregory were two sides to one personality, the self and its shadow as it were. Syme and Gregory seem almost like a photo and its negative which nonetheless contain the same picture. This might account for their initial attraction and subsequent conflict. Also like the yang and yin, each shows a hint of the other in faint and subtile ways.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Man Who Was Thursday