This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Source Help Needed - Thank You

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.

Source Help Needed - Thank You

Postby JSD » 11 Dec 2009, 21:12

I am trying to find the location of the illustration Lewis uses – when he speaks of yearning for a good vacation, happy marriage, etc. and it never matching up with expectation. The idea was that the total thing never arrived.

JSD
JSD
Wardrobian

Re: Source Help Needed - Thank You

Postby Karen » 11 Dec 2009, 21:45

Are you perhaps thinking of this passage from Mere Christianity?

The Christian says, "Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JSD » 12 Dec 2009, 06:55

Thank you Karen. That's not it. I am familiar with the various parts of Lewis' works on the argument from desire generally. He is expressing more this idea: that when you have a hope for some new activity that comes up in life the thing itself, the fullness of the thing, never arrives. A few years ago it caused me to write an email to a friend applying the passage to Christmas, how all the appeals to the myth of Christmas are never born out in reality. That is the best I can do with it until I see it again, and looking for it is driving me crazy. The passage I am remembering seems to me an elaboration on the simple line in A Grief Observed where he talks about cancer never actually arriving, there are just the days with their good and bad parts. This is not the idea, but a related one.
JSD
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » 12 Dec 2009, 17:43

Sven, who probably knows Lewis' works better than anyone on this forum, may be able to help.

*pages Sven*
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 12 Dec 2009, 19:33

*appears inside the pentagram chalked on the floor*

Two possibilities. In addition to these, Letters to Malcolm letter 5 is worth a look.

C. S. Lewis wrote:People get the idea from books that if you have married the right person you may expect to go on 'being in love' for ever. As a result, when they find they are not, they think this proves they have made a mistake and are entitled to a change--not realizing that, when they have changed, the glamour will presently go out of the new love just as it went out of the old one. In this department of life, as in every other, thrills come at the beginning and do not last. The sort of thrill a boy has at the first idea of flying will not go on when he has joined the R.A.F. and is really learning to fly. The thrill you feel on first seeing some delightful place dies away when you really go to live there. Does this mean it would be better not to learn to fly and not to live in the beautiful place? By no means.

Mere Christianity, book III, chapter 6

Work hard, then, on the disappointment or anti-climax which is certainly coming to the patient during his first few weeks as a churchman. The Enemy allows this disappointment to occur on the threshold of every human endeavour. It occurs when the boy who has been enchanted in the nursery by Stories from the Odyssey buckles down to really learning Greek. It occurs when lovers have got married and begin the real task of learning to live together. In every department of life it marks the transition from dreaming aspiration to laborious doing.

The Screwtape Letters, letter II

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » 13 Dec 2009, 20:24

Sven wrote:*appears inside the pentagram chalked on the floor*

It's actually a 6-pointed star. You know, the whole Jewish thing. :snow-wink:
Karen
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works