This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Phantastes by George MacDonald

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Phantastes by George MacDonald

Postby Adastra » September 1st, 2007, 8:05 pm

Adastra

Phantastes

Postby Kanakaberaka » September 2nd, 2007, 3:18 am

It's been a few years since I read George MacDonald's Phantastes. But images from this book remain in my memory even though the general outline of the story has faded. Then again, the story was rather rambling. It was the impressions along the way that mattered. I still remember the protagonist enjoying a library inhabited by invisible elves. And a sorceress who appeared to be beautiful from the front, yet appeared to be a rotting log from behind.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 3rd, 2007, 12:38 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » September 3rd, 2007, 1:06 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » September 4th, 2007, 12:59 pm

i've only read phantastes once, but that was a few months back so it's still fresh in my memory. i have to say i think it was an astounding book, though it would be difficult to say exactly what it 'did to me'. it certainly affected me on an emotional level most of all, sometimes so deeply as to be beyond analysing (at least for now) but probably the predominant feeling it produced was that of comfort. of course you have to empathise with anodos in his times of heartache before you can sense the comfort, but the scene where he lies down under the shade of the beech tree, and the chapter in the cottage where he is ministered to by the old woman had the profoundest influence on me. i have mentioned this before on the forums but the latter example (which takes place in chapter 19) immediately made me think of 'the peace that passes all understanding' and, ironically, made me understand that expression more than i ever had before. and of course because it impacts one on such a subconscious level, i can totally understand the whole 'baptism of the imagination' concept.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » September 13th, 2007, 11:52 am

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

What a Kicker

Postby Kanakaberaka » September 13th, 2007, 4:46 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » September 17th, 2007, 2:21 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » January 19th, 2008, 5:58 am

I read both Phantastes and Lillith a little less than a year ago. I, also, remember little of the plot of Phantastes, but remember the impression of loveliness and imagination, of dreamy forms and fairytales, of bravery and doubt, of hope and peace and sanctification. Perhaps the dearest part was the mirror story. When I finished that section I went and read it over again straight away, grateful that I, unlike Lucy, was able to do so.

Lillith I remember in more detail. I found it very gripping, perhaps because I identified with the title character (as odd as that is...) I also loved the images of sanctification.

I kinda want to reread them now...
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » January 21st, 2008, 5:59 am

I'm with Jill-at-the-Well in a lot of ways. Phantastes was good and full of lovely imagery, but disjointed. I remember the shadow that dogged Anodos' steps and the cottage with four doors (and the old woman there), and a few other things y'all mentioned, but its lack of apparent coherence weakened it for me. I much preferred Mr. Vane's library in Lilith, and the adventures there, because the story hung together so well. Sure, I disagree with his theological points in a few key spots, but as a whole it is the better of the two books.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » January 22nd, 2008, 6:12 am

Member of the 2456317 Club

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » January 23rd, 2008, 4:11 am

The main issue (in Lilith) was the universalism: even the devil will get to heaven in the end. Most of it was just fine and rather fun, if a bit surreal.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » January 23rd, 2008, 4:34 am

Hmm. Does it really say that the devil will be saved? Lillith wasn't the devil, you know - at least that wasn't how I saw it. I wish I had that book with me...
Member of the 2456317 Club

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » January 27th, 2008, 6:24 am

The Shadow, who comes into the story from time to time and is more evil than Lilith, if possible, but incorporeal to the point that Mr. Vane rides right through him (by God's help) in one scene, is the representation of Lucifer in the novel Lilith, and probably also in Phantastes, although he plays a different role in the latter. There's a comment, late in the book, to the effect that in the end (but not likely before), even the Shadow will be redeemed.
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 27th, 2008, 12:44 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences