This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit

Please don't close the door behind you.

C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit

Postby Lady Rebecca » June 5th, 2006, 5:16 am

"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

re: C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit

Postby carol » June 5th, 2006, 9:53 am

carol
Wardrobian

Re: C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit

Postby Monica » June 5th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Re: re: C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit

Postby Monica » June 5th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » June 5th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » June 5th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 6th, 2006, 6:37 am

Yes,..... I actually typed up part of this some time ago, but I don't know if it's still on here - may have been before the wee terrorist got in here and hacked about.

Will look - but I have still got the Nesbit with it in!
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » June 8th, 2006, 5:17 am

Thanks for the thoughts and information, everyone! I checked online, and found that another library linked to mine has The Treasure Seekers, so I'm looking forward to reading that. :smile:
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby wingedllama » June 8th, 2006, 5:39 am

I just discovered Nesbit's writings myself and I love them. Ive recently finished The Enchanted Castle and The Five Children trilogy (or should I call it the Psamead trilogy?)

Lewis makes this comment about E. Nesbit's books in the first chapter of Surprised by Joy:

"Much better than either of these was E. Nesbit's trilogy, The Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Wishing Carpet, and The Amulet. The last did the most for me. It first opened my eyes to antiquity, the 'dark backward and abysm of time'. I can still reread it with delight"

I do look forward to reading the Bastables and anything else by her that I find
Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 26th, 2006, 10:33 am

I didn't find my post, but I did find a link to the online text that Sven had found a year ago.

carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 26th, 2006, 7:15 pm

You can read nearly all of E. Nesbit's books online at Project Gutenberg. (You can even save the file and read it offline, or print out a copy for yourself, but you didn't hear it from me.) :twisted: Image
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 27th, 2006, 7:09 am

carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia