This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Q Document, Gospel of Thomas

Q Document, Gospel of Thomas

Postby c » November 6th, 2005, 5:19 pm

Greetings friends,

I would be interested in your input on the topic of the "sayings" gospel, the alleged Q and also the Gospel of Thomas .

I have been browsing some of the writings of Christian scholars claiming that the synoptic gospels are a mythology later created based on the earlier sayings of Jesus. The scholars claim these documents (even though the Q is merely theoretical) don't mention Jesus as Lord and savior, so that concept was later developed as a mere myth.

Any comments, info, observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

c
c
Wardrobian

Re: Q Document, Gospel of Thomas

Postby Adam » November 6th, 2005, 6:07 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

re: Q Document, Gospel of Thomas

Postby John Anthony » November 7th, 2005, 3:51 am

Just about my only venture into this subject has been reading Pagels’s Beyond Belief. But it’s a fascinating subject. Thanks, c, for bringing it up.

In the Wikipedia article on The Gospel of Thomas, the following passage particularly interested me:

‘Unlike John, which distinguishes belief in Jesus as Saviour from unbelief, the Gospel of Thomas premises salvation dependent upon an enlightened understanding of the hearer's own true identity — an image of the hearer as divine. Where sayings parallel those in Matthew and Luke, i.e. those in Q, they are placed without their more familiar context; left in this manner, the sayings seem to be pregnant with gnosis though none of the apparatus of developed Gnosticism, as in Pistis Sophia, is to be found.

‘In John's Gospel, Jesus is the "only begotten son" of the Father (John 1:3). In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus is quoted as saying that "the kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it." This too can be interpreted as Jesus' attempt to bring enlightenment through his teachings that man's existence is not as much material as it is spiritual — hence his claims to his own divinity came with an implied stipulation that this "divinity" was not limited to himself, rather belongs to anyone who is born-again spiritually. This again is a stark contrast with canonical Christianity.’

The phrase “Salvation dependent upon an enlightened understanding of the hearer’s own true identity” sounds very Buddhistic. If the sayings of Thomas have”none of the apparatus of developed Gnosticism”, then might it be that they are if not pregnant with Buddhism, then at least influenced by it? I wonder whether there is any evidence that Buddhistic thought had penetrated to any extent at this time into the Near East and Greece.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Stylteralmaldo » December 31st, 2005, 8:58 pm

...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

Postby Jeff » January 1st, 2006, 1:20 am

My two cents (from an article by Craig Blomberg):

+The earliest evidence of Thomas is AD 150--based on Greek fragments which paralell the AD 400 Coptic Thomas.
+~1/3 of the sayings in Thomas are gnostic; 1/3-1/2 are paralelled in one of the four Canonical Gospels; the remainder are not unorthodox.
+Thomas was dependent upon every major source of the four canonical Gospels (M; L; Mark; Q; John); even the order of many of the sayings is paralelled in the canonical Gospels. The gnostic sayings, themselves, are frequently nothing more than gnosticised versions of sayings found in the canonical Gospels.
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese" --G. K. Chesterton

Proud member of The 2456317 Club
Jeff
Wardrobian

Re: re: Q Document, Gospel of Thomas

Postby Jeff » January 1st, 2006, 1:22 am

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese" --G. K. Chesterton

Proud member of The 2456317 Club
Jeff
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy