This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic Penance

Catholic Penance

Postby nomad » December 2nd, 2006, 1:31 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » December 2nd, 2006, 9:42 pm

Thanks for asking!

First of all, penance is sort of confusing, for has two meanings. It can refer to the sacrament of penance, also known as confession and reconciliation. But it is usual easy to tell if that meaning is being used.

Sort of connected to that definition is the penance that a priest assigns a person who is receiving the sacrament of penance. In the early days of the Church, when there was public confession, there was public penance also, such as having to stand by the Church door every day for a year(or much less; I'm not to up on the subject actually), asking those who go in to pray for them. As time went one, the Church came to emphasize the mercy of God to a greater degree than the justice of God when it celebrated the sacrament of penance. It was made easier for a sinner to repent, expressing God's desire that all repent and come to Him.
Penance is still a part of the sacrament of penance; now it takes the form of prayers the priest assigns to the person, instead of more public acts.

About the other type of penance, the type you take by your own free will, it is attached to the Catholic view of suffering i.e., that you can offer it up to God, for his glory, and for the benefit of yourselves and others. Now, if that be the case, then suffering that you choose to take on would be no different, so long as your motives are pure, not wanting the respect of men, and so forth, as Jesus says in the sermon on the mount, when he discuses fasting.

I'm sorry I was so brief, I have to leave shortly; I'll try to post more later.
May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 3rd, 2006, 1:50 am

Thanks, Pizza Man. That's already very helpful. Could you explain a bit more on that view of suffering? What motives might lead one to choose suffering? And is it in any way related to atonement?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » December 3rd, 2006, 7:44 am

May God bless you!

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » December 3rd, 2006, 8:28 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 3rd, 2006, 1:58 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » December 3rd, 2006, 7:01 pm

Last edited by John Anthony on December 3rd, 2006, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » December 3rd, 2006, 7:02 pm

Yeah, I know that people do that also when on pilgrimages to Rome, or wherever it is that they moved the Scala Sancta to. That was the flight of stairs that Jesus walked up in Pilate’s house, or something like that.

As a side note, it is very easy to talk about sacrifices and penance and all that: it is quite another to actually do them. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I am good at that stuff, I just know a little about it.

[edit] Opps, John got in before me. I was refering to Karen's post.
May God bless you!

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » December 3rd, 2006, 8:02 pm

May God bless you!

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 5th, 2006, 5:13 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy