This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Possible cult?

Possible cult?

Postby Amy » September 25th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 25th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Ian

Re: Possible cult?

Postby Karen » September 25th, 2005, 10:21 pm

I've been past their church many times - it's in the town where we often rent a house for our summer vacation. Here's their homepage:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 26th, 2005, 11:35 am

Ian

Re: Possible cult?

Postby Amy » October 2nd, 2005, 11:54 pm

Thanks...I did check out their site, but it's not like they have a big banner saying, "We're a freaky cult" or anything. :) I Googled it, but there's not much except their own stuff. Fortunately, we have a friend who lives near there. We happened to mention it, and he's going to research for us. Thanks anyway. :)
Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » October 20th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » October 21st, 2006, 7:19 pm

I don't have a problem with a Christian commune. After all, many of the early Christians lived in close fellowship with each other. What makes it a cult is the doctrine. I don't know anything about the doctrine of this group, however.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » October 21st, 2006, 8:02 pm

Duplicate post.
Last edited by tangent on October 21st, 2006, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tangent
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » October 21st, 2006, 8:02 pm

I went to a meeting many years ago when four members of a Christian commune came to describe their life together. They made a point of saying that they shared everything. When asked if they shared their husbands, one of the girls simply replied, "we share everything".
tangent
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » October 21st, 2006, 11:09 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » October 21st, 2006, 11:14 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 22nd, 2006, 1:45 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » October 23rd, 2006, 10:45 am

I agree with pizza man... I've mentioned the Bruderhof community in Germany on here a few times, who are a great example of good community living.

On the flip-side, my dad had a young guy working for him who had lived in a Benedictine Monastery, and had some seriously dodgy theologies...
Just so you know, I have a great respect for monks and monasteries, and don't believe this one guy is indicative of the order...
soul101
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » October 23rd, 2006, 7:14 pm

sorry, didn't mean to imply that all who sequester themselves away are in danger of heresy, as I was writing that I was imagining the newer groups to have come along. I will say though that I don't think any person should spend a lifetime away from all who don't believe exactly as they do, or practice their faith the same way. Jesus lived a life of obedience in the middle of a sinful world. Too many think that by taking themselves away from the "sin" that they will be okay, but here on earth one can never get away from sin. We can remove ourselves from specific sins, but other ones will be right there. I agree with taking times away from outside influences to have concentrated time with God, to listen to what He is needing to tell us, but not removing ourselves from the world we are supposed to be showing our light to. The goal shouldn't be to remove ourselves from the sin by moving away from influences, but to have a relationship so close with God that those outside influences don't sway our faith and obedience.
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby halhelms » November 5th, 2006, 7:41 pm

I lived in the Community for 7 years and have close contact with many others who were here 20 years or more. It is a very destructive cult that separates families (children don't live with their parents), demands high levels of financial support, and insists the leaders be followed with absolute obedience. I'd be happy to reply to any specifics.
halhelms

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy